Discuss Lightning Surge Protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

olempcm

We recently had a lightning strike. The lightning conductor workedwell, as the fabric of our Church was unaffected, but it took out our interiorLighting Control System. We managed a temporary repair to get lights on,but it took us about 3 weeks to repair the system.
I now am thinking of putting in lightning surge protection. Wehave 3-phase supply. One can buy plug-in protectors, I know, butthey only protect the items plugged in to it - so I am thinking of surgeprotection installed in the supply, so all our boards and sub-boards areprotected.
How do I gauge the quality of the hardware offered? I am aware ofa unit made by Wylex, but I have been quoted over £2000.00 to install it. Is this the best option?

If you want to have surge protection at the supply or sub boards, there is suitable kit made by ABB and others, units such as Buy Industrial Surge Protection 40kA Single Pole TT 3Ph+N ABB 2CTB803953R0200 - OVR T2 3N 40 275 s P TS online from RS for next day delivery. spring to mind but PLEASE ask ABB for advise.
Often the surges can get in via the control cables and thus the above won't make much difference. Drop me a PM with details of the control signals and I will suggest ways to deal with the issue on the control signals.

godconfidence_zps6c315359.jpg

Having been sat in a building that took a direct strike I can assure you, no amount of local surge protection will save the equipment in the building. The surge protection will be vaporised along with the rest of the electrical system.
There is a method using transorb networks but that only protects from incoming spikes from the mains.

Contact Furse if you want to go ahead. Paying your insurance is cheaper.

Yes they may help, the important thing is to get all the connections to say the control unit to be protected by the products above and have them mounted on the SAME bit of din rail and get the connection length between the protection devices and the control unit as short as possiable

Furse are probably the best people to contact, they will also if given drawings of your main DB board set-up design a system for you free of charge (or they used to). But be warned surge protection is an expensive exercise....

Furse are probably the best people to contact, they will also if given drawings of your main DB board set-up design a system for you free of charge (or they used to). But be warned surge protection is an expensive exercise....

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.

Reply to Lightning Surge Protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net