Discuss Metal bathroom cabinet with inbuilt shaver socket not earthed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm a pretty competent DIYer and always try to follow the relevant IEE/IET regs.

Recently I ordered an LED bathroom cabinet from Amazon to replace an existing broken LED cabinet (the mirror was broken). The new cabinet is made out of aluminium, has LED bulbs in the glass on the front and a shaver socket fitted inside.

Before installing it, I checked for earth continuity from the CPC (it uses 3-core 1mm flex) to the metal case on the new mirror and was surprised to find there wasn't one!

This drove my curiosity as to where the CPC was terminated. On removing the top panel, I found an OEM 240v->12v LED driver and mounted directly to the metal case, the 240v+110v isolating transformer for the shaver socket. The incoming 3-core is joined to the LED driver and the transformer by the use of wire nuts, wrapped in masking tape! The CPC just feeds the 12v LED driver.

In my naive mind, the wire nuts and isolating transforming primary windings have a risk of developing a fault, e.g. a wire coming loose, which could lead to the metal case becoming live.

It seems to me the cabinet is a Class I device but it's not portable, so I'm not sure if it counts.

Of course, I could retrospectively fit a CPC, but am I right to be concerned? Should this kind of thing be reported?

Agree with Post #2
Some so-called double insulated light fittings etc are dubious at best, but I cannot think of a reason that a shavers socket would not require a cpc. Even though they are an isolating transformer, the core should have a cpc in case of breakdown of insulation between the windings and to the core.

Purchasing electrical products from Amazon is likely to be very hit and miss in terms of quality and necessary standard compliances. Some pics would help so we can form an opinion.
I grabbed this quick image, so not particularly helpful.

I agree, buying no-brand electrical stuff via Amazon was probably not a good idea.

If it was you, would you just establish an earth via a bond to the case and forget about it or return it?Metal bathroom cabinet with inbuilt shaver socket not earthed IMG_2066 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of interest, does it have the class II double insulated symbol on it? Not that I think it warrants one!

Out of interest, does it have the class II double insulated symbol on it? Not that I think it warrants one!
Nope - that's what I'd hope to find before taking it apart.

I'm guessing the use of loose wire nuts outside of an insulated enclosure means it couldn't be class II?

Attachments

• Metal bathroom cabinet with inbuilt shaver socket not earthed IMG_2078 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_2078.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 43
It cant be Double Insulated it must be class 1 as there is a cpc. But what the cpc actually protects I'm not too sure. The tape alone over the connections looks RAF and no additional insulation/protection on those crimp joints. It looks like a quick home workshop effort.
I bet you could have fun running a volt pen around it and feeling the almost static effect around the edges. :)

It cant be Double Insulated it must be class 1 as there is a cpc. But what the cpc actually protects I'm not too sure. The tape alone over the connections looks RAF and no additional insulation/protection on those crimp joints. It looks like a quick home workshop effort.
I bet you could have fun running a volt pen around it and feeling the almost static effect around the edges. :)

Good point, I'd forgot about that!

but I cannot think of a reason that a shavers socket would not require a cpc. Even though they are an isolating transformer, the core should have a cpc in case of breakdown of insulation between the windings and to the core.
Unknown to me, there are apparently class II construction shavers sockets - my bad.
However, whether it complies and the CE mark etc are genuine or not, it still looks of very poor construction.

Does the transformer claim to be made to BS EN 61558-2-5 or even any recognised standard for isolating transformers?

I wonder what makes someone think: 'How do we make these wire nuts safer in case loose strands are poking out? Oh of course, masking tape, that's exactly the thing for the job...'

Does the transformer claim to be made to BS EN 61558-2-5 or even any recognised standard for isolating transformers?

I wonder what makes someone think: 'How do we make these wire nuts safer in case loose strands are poking out? Oh of course, masking tape, that's exactly the thing for the job...'
I tried looking up the requirements of BS EN 61558-2-5 and the site wanted about £137 from me. Hence I'm still at a loss. :)

This is quite interesting:

I read something about that years ago but had forgotten all about it. How many people were aware of it I wonder? Honest answers ?

This is quite interesting:

But what are the requirements for BS EN 61558-2-5 - without forking out £137

I was more interested in the double insulated type
I wonder what type of core would be used, is there a material available that is both ferromagnetic and does not conduct electricity? Was interested as in my first post (and wrongly) expected a cpc connection in case of a fault.

Reply to Metal bathroom cabinet with inbuilt shaver socket not earthed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock