Discuss New build part p ans being registered in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just because this company is not in a scheme, doesn't necessarily mean they are not competent to carry out the work, supply the appropriate certification and supply a compliance certificate, as I alluded to in # 5.

I never said the contractors weren't competent .......... I was simply pointing out that the In-Laws need to address this issue NOW ....rather than when they have paid all the bills and difficult questions are being asked .........

I never said the contractors weren't competent .......... I was simply pointing out that the In-Laws need to address this issue NOW ....rather than when they have paid all the bills and difficult questions are being asked .........

Seems like they are paying for a company to build them a house, the electrics being done correctly seems a minor part of the concern.

Just because this company is not in a scheme, doesn't necessarily mean they are not competent to carry out the work, supply the appropriate certification and supply a compliance certificate, as I alluded to in # 5.

If you binned Stroma tomorrow, would that make you incompetent as an electrician?

So ou rate my #46 as optimistic, what about my last sentence in my post #39?

This a "new build", so I was wondering if it is:
a) a new house being built by an NHBC builder, which I suspect it's not as the OP wouldn't be getting the electrical works done by someone else?
b) a new house being built to the design or requirements of the owner, possibly a "kit" home being erected by a building company who are not NHBC registered? If this is the case, I would have thought there must be an architect involved, in order for a Certificate to be issued in place of the (useless) NHBC certificate, otherwise, without either of those (other versions are available) there would be difficulty on a resale within 10 years at least. So, assumng an architect is involved, I would have thought the best route is to get him/her to select the electrical contractor as he/she will have experience of working with some firms and know which ones will do the job correctly, and will get everything through Building Control. That way, the owners have a comeback if anything is amiss.
It may be tempting to use a cheaper option for the electrics, but I feel it is wiser to pay the right money for a safe job, and maybe spend a bit less on the shiny bits in the kitchen, bathrooms etc. Huge value when finished, a few hundred extra on electrics is a better route. Folks seem always to skimp on the unseen bits, the services, electrics and plumbing, yet these are the very heart and veins that power the dream home...

Around here if you are doing a new build you pay x amount based on square footage or value for the house to building control. If part of the new build involves electrics by a non scheme member then add £250 on to the other fees. This covers BC paying a spark to inspect. When BC hire another electrician they are in effect a temporary BC inspector and as such come under the councils statutory powers and need not be a scheme member themselves.
If you wanted to do notifiable electric work outside of the new build then its £492!!! In this area. The councils have clubbed together and work as a regional building control team instead of seperately.
I no longer hear of people regardless of qualifications or competence being able to notify direct to building control with a eic or eicr... those days are gone.
Happened this week to me with a moody cu install... wouldnt accept just an eicr even though im in a scheme. Have to do 'reinstall' eic then notify via scheme.
Its all about money...at £492 a pop at least half of that fee is straight in the councils bank as profit.

Reply to New build part p ans being registered in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net