Discuss New build part p ans being registered in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BC don't need to inspect if they accept that a non-registered spark is competent.
Really ? Is that through A JIB card or college certificates or the results of the Inspection and Testing results ?
As you are the one signing the certificate, you are stating that all is to latest Regulations. Something to think about.
However, if my memory serves me correctly. Part P document states that a certified electrician should carry out the works and certify or the work should have a third party certificate by scheme member.

Really ? Is that through A JIB card or college certificates or the results of the Inspection and Testing results ?
As you are the one signing the certificate, you are stating that all is to latest Regulations. Something to think about.
However, if my memory serves me correctly. Part P document states that a certified electrician should carry out the works and certify or the work should have a third party certificate by scheme member.
Certified by who? the Schemes?

you are correctin as much as regards ,say, a CU change or other notifiable works where the only works done are electrical. in the case of a new-build, extension etc., where building work is involved and building control are also involved anyway, it is up to the discretion of LABC to accept or not accept a non-scam member's certificate for the electrical work.

it's all a shambles anyway. why would they need to raise a building notice for £300 for just electrical work,when no building work is taking place.

My in laws are having their new build wired bur the company are not part of anybody such as nic eic

They are on about self certifying their work and not notifying building control....is this possible?

Or would building control need to come and have a look?

You need to make sure that your in-laws are aware of the issues they will be facing getting:

A. A completion certificate

B. Answering all the questions as and when they want to sell the property.

Seeing as "A" is more pressing, then they need to deal with this issue NOW, and in writing with LABC ..................

Burying their heads in the sand / and or hoping this issue will go away are not options IMHO.

if it's a new biuild, the installer just needs to prove competence to LABC, usually by giving them a copy of his quals. then on completion give them a copy of the EIC.

So you don’t need to be a scheme member to work on new builds? Is that because the developer/builder would’ve notified the local building Control?

His quals should be on his profile, he hashis own company "Fitzy the Sparky" so keeping his profile upto date shouldn't be a difficult task, it would save any misunderstanding and comments from the likes of me. Simple really.

Fitzy The Sparky isn’t my company name.....

My post was just my opinion like everyone else’s opinion, but based on what I’ve read on here when you and other time served sparkies lay in to other posters when they don’t get building control involved etc “they’re probably not qualified or dont even know what they’re doing” etc.....

What exactly is the City and Guilds Qualification you currently hold Fitzy?

Part P (not scheme registered yet), initial inspecting testing & 17th edition amd 3. Whys that Pete999, gonna give me a bashing now as I’ve not done am apprenticeship?

My post was just my opinion like everyone else’s opinion, but based on what I’ve read on here when you and other time served sparkies lay in to other posters when they don’t get building control involved etc “they’re probably not qualified or dont even know what they’re doing” etc.....

Fitzy does have a point there.

However, last month I was in a scheme, this month I'm not. Does that change my competency - no wise arsed remarks please :)

Part P (not scheme registered yet), initial inspecting testing & 17th edition amd 3. Whys that Pete999, gonna give me a bashing now as I’ve not done am apprenticeship?

There is a bit of snobbery involved in some of this. I did an apprenticeship 45 years ago, and return to the industry 5 years ago, after a 30 year gap. I bet there's some of the Electrical Trainee, that had more knowledge than me, when I did return; experience thats subjective.

You need to make sure that your in-laws are aware of the issues they will be facing getting:

A. A completion certificate

B. Answering all the questions as and when they want to sell the property.

Seeing as "A" is more pressing, then they need to deal with this issue NOW, and in writing with LABC ..................

Burying their heads in the sand / and or hoping this issue will go away are not options IMHO.

Just because this company is not in a scheme, doesn't necessarily mean they are not competent to carry out the work, supply the appropriate certification and supply a compliance certificate, as I alluded to in # 5.

If you binned Stroma tomorrow, would that make you incompetent as an electrician?

Well that's what it says in your profile Fitzy.

Reply to New build part p ans being registered in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net