Discuss NICEIC newbe, looking for answers before i send off my application in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

telectrical

I am in the process of going self employed. Just wanted to know if anybody has recently enrolled with the NIC, Im looking at the process at the moment and would like to know if anybody was actually asked to show proof that the two jobs assested on the day were signed off by building control. Not trying to cut corners but resent forking out £400 for some other sparkie coming out to look at my jobs when all I am trying to do is join the NIC so that I can self cert.

It all seems a bit of a waste of money

Last edited by a moderator:

It is, because plenty don't belong to schemes but still work in domestics and don't notify.

Last year I went into a property to see mate "a builder" he was running in new sockets using old colors "red and black" ha ha ha

Wanted me to do a board change, I said what about building control, he said they can go forth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your jobs can be certified using any old test sheet I used NICEIC approved contractor certs that I had left over from the last company I worked for just scrubbed out the serial no, I told the inspector that I wanted to use NIC ones because he would be more familiar with them, when really I just didn't want to buy any knowing that I would soon be buying some niceic ones, he seemed mildly impressed but probably wasnt lol.

They only want to reference test results with the ones you get on the day during the assessment just to mak sure you wasn't using a bingo caller.

I am in the process of going self employed. Just wanted to know if anybody has recently enrolled with the NIC, Im looking at the process at the moment and would like to know if anybody was actually asked to show proof that the two jobs assested on the day were signed off by building control. Not trying to cut corners but resent forking out £400 for some other sparkie coming out to look at my jobs when all I am trying to do is join the NIC so that I can self cert.

If you ring NICEIC, you will be told to notify the jobs in advance to building control, all as per the mechanism described in Document P.

Send in your fee and when you agree your assessment date, get the number for your assessor and he will tell you that he is not interested in notifications on an initial assessment, only in your technical ability as a QS.

NICEIC are only following the rules outlined in Document P.

i joined the nic in november and i didnt notify building control and the assessor didnt ask. one notifiable job in my own house and one minor works in my brothers house.

When I made enquiries to join Elecsa, I was asked if I had notified my jobs to LABC.

I had done so, so I never found out if I could have got away with not notifying.

Reply to NICEIC newbe, looking for answers before i send off my application in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net