Discuss Nightmare....! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Even the potting compound can play havic with insulation tests and rcds, sometimes just needs time to dry out. In days gone by, you would see a spark walking up and down with a blow torch trying to get rid of moisture. Quite common to get readings of 1 meg when fitted, 2 meg the next day, and full 999+ after 4 days or so

Had this exact problem once when replacing a DB. All MI circuits and tested perfect before DB change, I had to re-pot about half of them due to new DB being taller and after completion all the re-potted ones tested out pants! After 10 mins with the heat gun all was fine again. To be fair, it was the middle of winter and the clay had been sitting in the back of my van over the weekend.

Thanks Chaps for all your advice it really is appreciated.... Doing my nut in/ sleepless night tonight I think.

Fingers crossed for it just being a damp issue. Back tomorrow so will keep you posted and may be back for a couple more pointers.

Been searching on line for imperial size glands with no joy so far, any ideas if need be?

Cheers again

Sy

Think you will be very lucky to find imperial glands & pots....can only suggest if you have enough length to cut and re-gland, should be enough meat on it to thread in metric..

Been searching on line for imperial size glands with no joy so far, any ideas if need be?

Sy

Not sure where I found the info but last year I tracked down a list of equilivent sizes. You need the imperial size normally find this on the old pot.
I do remember that to replace one duff pot it involved buying several sizes of metric, you use a pot from one size, a cap from another etc.
If I can find where I got it from I'll post as soon as.

You'll notice form the notes on that PDF that some of them require the sheath to either be filed down with a bit of emery or for the pot to be soldered on to the cable to make a good connection.

I have a job on this coming week where I have to re-terminate a 2 core 0.002" MI, the gentleman doing some DIY wasn't aware of how awkward it would be if he cut the pot off of the end until it was too late. Thankfully he came on here and found me to fix it for him :grin:

Reply to Nightmare....! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net