Discuss PIR - Am I allowed to do it??? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

hi guys
so to register with elecsa would 17th and logic part p level a award satisfy requirments
I have also just taken 2391 and still waiting to see if i passed, i also have C&g2377 and building regs C&G2393
I to tried the apprentice route but was told i was to old i originally was a apprentice in 1986 but never completed my exams
and had to pay private for above I was told these satisfy requirments
also been looking into NVQ but have to be working in the industry

could you elaborate on that one dude

Just as I said really. The only legal requirement is competence. Scheme membership is entirely optional and is in no way a legal requirement. This includes notifiable work in England and Wales. (The procedures for notification may be different but nonethless membership of a so-called "Competent Persons' Scheme" is optional.)

Just as I said really. The only legal requirement is competence. Scheme membership is entirely optional and is in no way a legal requirement. This includes notifiable work in England and Wales. (The procedures for notification may be different but nonethless membership of a so-called "Competent Persons' Scheme" is optional.)

you mean to the LABC route I take it.:D

Its a sad state of affairs with the whole 2330 thing. I too looked at doing this as I approached retirement time from the Army, but it was a closed shop for either those employed as an apprentice in the trade, or made it so bloody difficult to register it wasnt worth it. I too did the EAL DEI course and breezed through it thanks to my engineering background, aced 17th edition and only dropped a few marks on 2391 theory and got 100% on the practical.

Passed the ELECSA assessment with a slight oversight which was quickly rectified. Quite a bit of my work is inspection based given the number of rental properties round here. At the end of the day quals only go so far, got to get that knowledge to your finger tips to earn good money. I depend on word of mouth and doing a good job correctly and safely is critical to my on going sucess. I have no interest in doing commercial as I have plenty of domestic work available and thats where the 2330 time served will thrive.

Basically with that I would not recommend doing PIR's without the back up of at least holding C&G 2391 as this is a tough course and makes you look long and hard at inspection and testing. I also use PIRform for all of my paperwork.

Blimey thats unreal that to do PIR you dont have to be on Competent Person Scheme.

Chris

Had my assessment with ELECSA just today, my assessor stated that he himself is not a member of a Competent Person Scheme. Certainly very knowledgeable, probably very experienced (and certainly competent). If you work commercially or in industry you would probably not be part of a scheme but would surely be very capable.

An experienced spark could well carry out PIR's every day of the week and still not be a member of a scheme. Remember, your spending about £400 a year just for the benefit of informing a scheme of notifiable work carried out. If you do less than 2 domestic notifiables a year, you might as well pay the thieving LABC their ransom and still be quids in.

Pete

Reply to PIR - Am I allowed to do it??? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net