Discuss Please could you help me to retrain the correct and best way that you know? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I have always loved things to do with electrics and always wanted to become an electrician. Life throws things at you which led to me becoming a DJ in Majorca instead. Covid 19 has decimated lives and livelihoods in 2020 and has meant I have lost all my work.

I am extremely motivated at retraining, so please could you help me with the best way to retrain so I can become a paid electrician in maybe 2-3 years time?

Of course you can Google stuff but the answers are not always the best as I have learnt. What is the best course for someone of my age at 51 and if possible is there any government funding. What way did other qualified electricians gain experience before they had any? I have missed the apprenticeship boat, so is the only way to phone local electricians and ask if I can become their buddy and work for free?

Regards,

Kevin the newcomer (1st post)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum mate.
There are a few ways you can become an electrician.
One way is to go the collage route and get some qualifications.
Another way is to go on one of these 'short courses'. Please be aware that these will only teach you the very basics.
As you have mentioned, try and work alongside an electrician, so you can get some practical experience.

and the short courses he mentions are geared only to the domestic sector. for industrial work it's the 3-4- years scenario.

Never offer to Labour for free , you will just get used as a tea boy , whoksalers badger.

seek out a proper firm who will train you and pay you a wage So you can work & learn on the job.

Reply to Please could you help me to retrain the correct and best way that you know? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net