Discuss poor rcd tripping times in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ambrad

Hi all

After having the shower circuit upgraded to 10mm cable, new shower and pull switch the tripping times recorded for the existing rcd are as follows.
76ms x1 65ms x1(180) 28.6ms x5 38.3ms x5 (180). These times appear not to meet the standards for the minor works cert and im after suggestons as to my options. The existing rcd is about 10 years old and on asking the occupier has not carried out regular operation through the test button. I know the easy answer is to change the rcd, but is there something else that could be causing this that i can consider.

look forward to you suggestions

within BS7671 values, what's the problem? have you tried testing at the RCD with no loads connected?

Hi all

After having the shower circuit upgraded to 10mm cable, new shower and pull switch the tripping times recorded for the existing rcd are as follows.
76ms x1 65ms x1(180) 28.6ms x5 38.3ms x5 (180). These times appear not to meet the standards for the minor works cert and im after suggestons as to my options. The existing rcd is about 10 years old and on asking the occupier has not carried out regular operation through the test button. I know the easy answer is to change the rcd, but is there something else that could be causing this that i can consider.

look forward to you suggestions

Have a think about it..................and while you are have a look on page 295 of the regs and table 3A ....................

hi all

checked the regs and happy with the results now. Getting mixed up with the results and how they fit the allowances. Happy they are within 300ms and 40 ms. still learning but getting there.

Thanks for the advice

Reply to poor rcd tripping times in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net