Discuss Proving Your Neutral Electrical Connections in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

I rely on the following to prove my electrical connections:

• Having a Torque Screwdriver for show and occasionally use it as the fancy takes me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a 17 Day or electrical trainee, what is an R1 + Rn test anyway?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
There appears to be anecdotal evidence from recent threads and the interminable debate regarding BS 7671 Amd 3 and the non-combustible CU thing that Neutral connections are the source of many overheating incidents that in some cases lead to fires. There is nothing currently in BS 7671 or other Codes of Practice that require the integrity of the Line-Neutral circuit to be proven

- What is your experience?

- Do you carry out any tests to ensure that the joints that you produce are always 'sound'?

- Does your experience and 'Mk 1, Self-Calibrating' right or left wrist do the right job every time?

- Will you share your photos of the results of dry joint resistive heating and its aftermath if any?

Discuss!

Research regarding the causes of electrical fires; US source

http://www.interfire.org/features/electric_wiring_faults.asp

Last edited:
Well.... you could do an R2 + RN BUT if its slightly loose you may not see a different reading to R1 + R2 - but a few weeks down the line you may!!

So it might show up on an extremely diligent electrical inspection? ... but definitely not on most EIs and definitely on a 'drive-by shooting'!

The neutral bars that seem to be generic on some boards seem to have very tight threaded screws , so much that I have had to use a large flat driver to get them to tighten , if you use a torque driver it would be useless in this situation , you have to really pull them to check that the screw has properly held the wire , doing an e/loop or Rcd test would not always show the loose neutral, I am in favour of re checking all connections after the board has been in use and like to re check the following day when re wiring etc ...

Couldn't answer the poll because I do the Mark 1 right wrist thing,then I wiggle and jiggle,thats followed by a supplementary self torquing third twist with that Mark wrist thing again

Couldn't answer the poll because I do the Mark 1 right wrist thing,then I wiggle and jiggle,thats followed by a supplementary self torquing third twist with that Mark wrist thing again

me too and noticed that 2 people have voted this way HOW?

Last edited by a moderator:
You are allowed to select more than one option ... I believe, at least that is how I set it up! How did you get to see the voting ... I can't!

only let me do one option!
to see who has voted just left click on any of the scores at the right hand side and all is revealed (did say a public vote)

Reply to Proving Your Neutral Electrical Connections in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net