Discuss Question about a coaxial cable electromagnetic field / possible interference with monitor / PC in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
First I will pose the question so you don't need to read the rest if you don't want to:
What if any are the possibilities that a pretty long RG6 coaxial cable (cable TV - about 11 meters inside apartment ) would interfere in any way with a PC + 144Hz monitor that is in very close proximity(1.5-2 meters)?
If any, is there any way to measure the effect (using a multimeter if the cable caries an unwanted electrical charge etc) o rule out the effect / effects?

The rest of the post is more details about the setup and why I ask.

I have a rather long RG6 coaxial cable (goes into my TV). I'd say in the room in question it's about 3 meters (that is required to reach the TV) + about 5-6 meters that was extra + maybe 2-3 meters in the hallway (before entering the room).
I coiled the extra 5-6 meters and it was sitting behind / near TV

Now I will describe the issue I suppose I am facing: either a very very very slim monitor delay - altered frame timing / peripherals delay - mouse / controller having it's timing affected / general system delay (I don't think so but I am not an expert can't rule that out I don't expect the GPU or CPU would be hindered)

I was rather unsatisfied with the general mouse feel (hard to describe and observe so we can leave that aside).
On top of that I sometimes use a wireless game pad(supports wired as well trough a mcro-usb and wired behaves the same way) and this one is easy to feel when something is wrong. I test it in a game that requires intensive precise and constant direction change of the controller left stick and you can tell right away that it feels different. If I would try to describe what is wrong it's like this: say I am doing a 60 degree left stick motion with the same speed but what ends up happening is 40 degree is at a speed then 5 degree is slower and the rest is accelerated to compensate.

Well at some point I grabbed the coiled cable and put it on the desk so now it sits in front of the monitor on the same desk that holds the controller. The controller became a mess in the game (again I am not sure if it's the controller or the monitor etc) , it just felt completely unreliable and random timings. Then I cut the extra 5-6 meters and I remove the ending connector (which looked like it was crushing the cable actually ) and now the cable is no longer coiled and I didn't install yet another connector.

I just have to say it's really really improved... So this is why the question at the start of the post, I want to understand if this is possible and if yes what more could I do about the rest of the cable

Thanks for reading this and if it's stupid sorry, it was worth the risk of writing something stupid in hope of fixing a rather annoying issue

TL;DR
What if any are the possibilities that a pretty long RG6 coaxial cable (cable TV - about 11 meters inside apartment ) would interfere in any way with a PC + 144Hz monitor that is in very close proximity(1.5-2 meters)?
Seems unlikely to be causing such an effect, but an easy way to confirm it is to temporarily switch off whatever equipment is feeding the coax cable

Last edited:
Seems unlikely to be causing such an effect, but an easy way to confirm it is to temporarily switch off whatever equipment is feeding the coax cable
I am not sure this is possible, there are multiple cables going to different apartments from same cable company box.

I just did a test again, moved the end of the cable on the desk and the controller gets worse right away

And I understand it's unlikely but if I'm asking in case there are scenarios where something could be wired wrong in the building or something else could go wrong, I know this would not be a normal occurrence

I am not sure this is possible, there are multiple cables going to different apartments from same cable company box.

I just did a test again, moved the end of the cable on the desk and the controller gets worse right away

And I understand it's unlikely but if I'm asking in case there are scenarios where something could be wired wrong in the building or something else could go wrong, I know this would not be a normal occurrence

Can you not disconnect it from your TV and move it away?

Can you not disconnect it from your TV and move it away?
Well I can disconnect it and move it away but a few meters are trapped in a fake ceiling on the hallway so the cable is still 2 meters away from the monitor so I don't think I am achieving anything by just moving the ending from the room

I already saw a major improvement by shortening it (I cut away 5-6 meters) and I can still see the unwanted effect by resting the cable on the desk...

This is why I am so confused and thought about asking if this is in theory possible in some conditions and ideally test it with a multi meter or if the bad setup could be checked visually I would know what to look for. The building hallway is full of cables going from apartment to apartment and multiple boxes for internet / phone / cable equipment so it's not that clear and cut, I don't think there is any easy testing solution and certainly the cable company would not engage in any.

Anyway I don't want to deal with the cable company yet they are a bunch of annoying dumb ----s actually and they would never admit to doing anything wrong no point in discussing to them until I have a working theory :) As long as the tv works and internet works it's all good for them I am sure

I really doubt this cable is causing the issue. I know you are convinced it is, but then not long back you were convinced that a higher mains voltage was causing the issue - I think you cured it then with a UPS.

Eliminate both these problems by trying the computer at another location.

I really doubt this cable is causing the issue. I know you are convinced it is, but then not long back you were convinced that a higher mains voltage was causing the issue - I think you cured it then with a UPS.

Eliminate both these problems by trying the computer at another location.
First to better understand my issue and why I'm even wasting time, imagine you are driving a car that has a wheel that might respond at random times, good enough that you can still drive in an empty parking lot but unreliable on the road.

I did not eliminate anything back then, it was a coincidence that i actually remember confirming even here.The issue exists since then. Moving an entire pc unit to some location and doing tests on a game for hours is impossible

For me it's not important how improbable this may be, it only matters if it is possible in theory this is what I am asking
I already said I see a huge difference after I cut most of the unused cable... I already said the issue (inconsistency call it what you want, its described above) worsened when I dumped the stupid coiled cable on the desk and tested the game for a couple minutes. Does this not count as evidence to you? I would call an immediate effect after a direct change prof of a phenomenon manifesting.

Do you have an actual answer that sound like: it is 100 % impossible for a long coaxial cable coming from a major setup with tens of other cables serving energy, internet, TV and telephony from 2-3 different providers to about 40 apartments all crowded in the same apartment block to induce any kind of perceivable error into an electronic system residing inside an apartment used for precise computing / display? If yes please give that answer so I know what your real profesional opinion is and not waste more of your time. If your answer cannot be that, why work against me and tell me its unlikely so probably it's not the case :)?

I do not understand your logic because if an effect has a tiny chance of occurring of course you would get that tiny percentage of people asking the question instead of the huge majority that do not have the issue or have the issue but don't engage in any game / activity where it's visible? How is arguing probability even remotely relevant to the question is beyond me but that's besides the point anyway, just an observation...

Last edited:
First to better understand my issue and why I'm even wasting time, imagine you are driving a car that has a wheel that might respond at random times, good enough that you can still drive in an empty parking lot but unreliable on the road.

I did not eliminate anything back then, it was a coincidence that i actually remember confirming even here.The issue exists since then. Moving an entire pc unit to some location and doing tests on a game for hours is impossible

For me it's not important how improbable this may be, it only matters if it is possible in theory this is what I am asking
I already said I see a huge difference after I cut most of the unused cable... I already said the issue (inconsistency call it what you want, its described above) worsened when I dumped the stupid coiled cable on the desk and tested the game for a couple minutes. Does this not count as evidence to you? I would call an immediate effect after a direct change prof of a phenomenon manifesting.

Do you have an actual answer that sound like: it is 100 % impossible for a long coaxial cable coming from a major setup with tens of other cables serving energy, internet, TV and telephony from 2-3 different providers to about 40 apartments all crowded in the same apartment block to induce any kind of perceivable error into an electronic system residing inside an apartment used for precise computing / display? If yes please give that answer so I know what your real profesional opinion is and not waste more of your time. If your answer cannot be that, why work against me and tell me its unlikely so probably it's not the case :)?

I do not understand your logic because if an effect has a tiny chance of occurring of course you would get that tiny percentage of people asking the question instead of the huge majority that do not have the issue or have the issue but don't engage in any game / activity where it's visible? How is arguing probability even remotely relevant to the question is beyond me but that's besides the point anyway, just an observation...

I was trying to be helpful. Eliminating the environmental influences is the best thing you can do. You cannot use a multimeter to test RF emissions from a coax cable, and any equipment to do this is not only expensive, but outside your capabilities or using it.

Move the computer away from the TV and coax cable and try it for a few days.

I was trying to be helpful. Eliminating the environmental influences is the best thing you can do. You cannot use a multimeter to test RF emissions from a coax cable, and any equipment to do this is not only expensive, but outside your capabilities or using it.

Move the computer away from the TV and coax cable and try it for a few days.
I understand that is not possible to measure anything. Your suggestion is actually interesting and at least doable with minimum effort. I checked and I could move the PC from a 1.5 meters distance (currently) to about 4 meters distance from the point where the cable is stuck in the wall. I will also check to see if I can temporarily disconnect it from the box outside the appartment maybe i get lucky and it's an easy job. I was only asking to see if any of this makes any sense because I am not crazy to start moving equipment to eliminate an effect that cannot possibly exist.

I just checked my ranking and since i shortened the cable on Saturday I am constantly improving and gained about 10 % in ranking which is quite massive. Again, this may be a coincidence and does not confirm anything :) I might go back in the slump I was in in the next days just as easily, but the ranking is actually an objective measure that I can point to.

I understand that is not possible to measure anything. Your suggestion is actually interesting and at least doable with minimum effort. I checked and I could move the PC from a 1.5 meters distance (currently) to about 4 meters distance from the point where the cable is stuck in the wall. I will also check to see if I can temporarily disconnect it from the box outside the appartment maybe i get lucky and it's an easy job. I was only asking to see if any of this makes any sense because I am not crazy to start moving equipment to eliminate an effect that cannot possibly exist.

I just checked my ranking and since i shortened the cable on Saturday I am constantly improving and gained about 10 % in ranking which is quite massive. Again, this may be a coincidence and does not confirm anything :) I might go back in the slump I was in in the next days just as easily, but the ranking is actually an objective measure that I can point to.

Keep us posted with how you get on.

Keep us posted with how you get on.
Ugh I moved the entire setup to the adjacent wall. It's really terrible.Forget input lag, the monitor image is just bad in-game, can't even concentrate at all, I played couple unranked match and it's impossible to play like this I hate it

I'm kinda ashamed to say this only now , there are 6 cables running along this wall on the outside (I'm on the outside building corner ) 2 of which are thick. They are coming from a different appartments block in front of this one. I just forgot those existed. PC case and monitor are parallel with these cables within maybe 30-50 cm depending on how thick the wall is. Before both were perpendicular to the outside wall at about 1.5 m distance from it now they are parallel with it within cm

Speechless

Last edited:
You won't be able to make any useful measurements with a DMM or similar. You'd need 'rf' detector equipment / probes and in your environment it would likely be fruitless in any case.
The type of problems you are describing seem unlikely from a cable TV co-ax. If it were the cause then I'd expect greater problems such as becoming unusable and resetting. But never say never !
There's a possibility that the geometry of the coiled up surplus' cable could have caused the problem.
If it's still an issue you might want to try snap on cable ferrites on the coax where it enters the room.
Use one that is big enough for you to loop the cable through it once as this increases its effect.
Also where is the screen (ie outside of any coax connector) going ?
Is it showing continuity to a metal equipment chassis ? And , if so, is that chassis connected to 'Earth'.
Any connection scheme here may help / not help / make worse - since you don't really know the arrangements at the other end. But you can 'cut and try' to see what, if any difference, you find.

Reply to Question about a coaxial cable electromagnetic field / possible interference with monitor / PC in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net