Discuss Reading NICEIC, Testing, Inspecting and Certification Book in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SKY

Say you have a CU change to do to the 17th edition lets say changing a 1970s fuse wire board.
For the bonding you can get onto the main water service but getting onto the main gas pipe means taking up lots of upstair floor boards (and the customer does not want you to).

Do you bond main water and maybe cross bond the boiler pipe so in effect you are covering the gas via the water pipe?

There is a bit in the book where there are certain dispensations on alterations of systems with bonding.

When looking at the whole picture the new install to 17th edition is safer than before and a path to earth can be obtained by my method?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where the wording "as far as reasonably practical" comes in mate. As long as you can justify your installation decisions and the install is up to scratch you're ok

Just always note it on your cert of why you did it etc and that it was a limitation with the customer/client.

The customer will often say "I don't want you to". I would always say "If you want me to do the job, then x,y,z must be done at the same time (usually bonding).
Main bonding of services is an important part of any installation, so think carefully about whether you can achieve this properly another way, such as extending the water 10mm with a crimped and sleeved connection, then making the cable pass through one of the clamps and onto the other continuously. Maybe running the bonding outside and back in may even be an option.

Reply to Reading NICEIC, Testing, Inspecting and Certification Book in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock