Discuss Replace a 20 amp multi intermediate grid switch with fuse with what? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Suzy6452

Hi

I have read so many of your questions and responses and have learned a lot however I still cant seem to find what I need to know.

The switch system on the wall in the utility is for the two under unit appliances washer and dryer and above boiler.

I am not a novice with electrics and when it comes to sorting out basic electrical needs I have no problem however, the problem I have is that 2 of the switches are not working and they no longer are made.

I have drawn a diagram of what goes where re the wires intending to just replace it but I am having a problem finding the type of switch to use. There are some I have seen but no plates with them stc but I just want to buy all I need from one place that caters for my need.

Installed is 3 x 20 amp intermediate grid switches which have 2 holes at top and 2 at the bottom and the switches were made by Tenby. At the end of the frame is a Fuse.

I have checked the MK site and Tenby and they do not seem to do the ones with four holes on back.

I wondered is they are called something else or has something replaced these and if so what and how will it effect where the wires go.

When I have read details on your forum and other places it talks about the socket on the wall not been switched but mine both are and the switch is in the on position. Should I have any concerns with this?

I have read that it would be normal to use 2 x 3 way switches and a intermediate switch in the middle and how that would work but that would mean the wire placement altering and although I am aware of how circuits run and the in and out etc this unit has 5 cables running into it. Changing from intermediate to intermediate I could do with no problem. If it is a case of changing the wire positions I'm weary. Don't worry whatever I do I will have it checked by a professional.

I have taken note on your forum that the switch should reflect what its appliance is, which it currently does on the wall, but not under the units on the socket. It could be the fronts have been changed at some time. I will rectify this.

Does my needs make sense to you or have I confused you?

Kind regards
:rolleyes4:
Susan

Hi Suzy can you post a couple of pics of these switches please.

I think we might have a difference in terminology, 2 way switches and intermediate switches are usually involved with lighting, what you might be talking about is Double pole fused connection units (DP FCU) these I think will fit with what you describing. If you g****** fused connection unit and have a look at the pictures it should give you a starting point. But please get an Electrician in just in case.

Hi
I can't see the response I made to you on the thread. Whilst waiting for your response to it I have been checking through the tons of tabs I have been opening referring to to solve my problem etc. I have just realised that the information I sent you to see a picture of my switch and said it was on your forum was wrong. it was posted by "callums" and the question was "trying to source dishwasher switch fused spur rocker switch" sun may 30 2010 at 4.22pm and it was not on your forum but diynot.com
The path was Forum then Electrics UK. and this is where you can see the picture of what my switches look like but I only have one 4 gang grid with 3 switches to the left and fuse to the right of it on the same grid plate. One of the lower messages describe the switch and that is what it says on mine.

It is my 1st post ever and I expected to see my response to you attached to the thread but it is not there.I do not know what I have done as I thought it would have been the norm to show.

So if I am repeating myself, I am sorry for the inconvenience.

In my response I advised your I was quite good with electrics but computers not so good but if you still need a picture I can get one of my children tomorrow to help me send you one.
Kind regards Susan (PS Going to bed now cos that's what us old wrinkly's do but will check site tomorrow)
Kind regards Susan

Hi

I am sorry my latest message missed your response but after typing it all up it would not let me send until I refreshed the page and signed in again and this lost my message and I had to do again.

I have now read your response and I think that is were I have been going wrong and I will check out this and yes I will get what ever I do tested by a professional. Thank you so much for your help.

Now I'm going to bed Ha! Ha! and I will sleep better.

I have never had to deal with fixing something more fancy than the normal sockets and switches.

Thank you and sleep tight
:flowers:
Susan

hi susan even if you are familiar with electrics there is a lot to learn about properly working with it.
to get it fixed i agree its best to get a pro to do it properly.
If you are interested in being a spark I encourage you to go the correct route to learning the trade.

couple of the experienced members are in the leeds/bradford area. not a big job to replace these switches. hopefully one of them could fix it for you.

Reply to Replace a 20 amp multi intermediate grid switch with fuse with what? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net