Discuss SBS Trade consumer units in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I'd give one of these a go.
Very easy to order and they build the board for you in the order you want. Next day delivery was free.
First impression is that it's very solid and the front comes on and off easily.
(So much space!)
1675855060042.png
1675855121816.png

When I fit it, if it doesn't look too rough I'll post some photos!
Obvious drawback is lack of ability to get parts quickly/locally in future.

Anyone tried them and decided against them?

It seems like a great idea - but that SPD looks rough.

Having an RCBO feeding it so risk of tripping on any surge and not noticing, and the looped wires just don't look elegant. Had they a bigger SPD that needed no MCB protection and it fitted the busbars directly it would have been the perfect looking unit!

Do you know if the RCBO are neutral-switching ones?

Do you know if the RCBO are neutral-switching ones
All devices double pole.
Having an RCBO feeding it so risk of tripping on any surge and not noticing, and the looped wires just don't look elegant.
The right hand two devices are actually MCBs branded to look like RCBOs, so it's an MCB feeding the SPD.
I can see why you thought otherwise though.
Yes, the loop wires are a little longer than the Fusebox ones.

Last edited:
I'd also comment that you can pickup the phone to a UK landline and speak to a real knowledgeable person.
Their entire MCB range are currently marked MCB-B40 at the top and then the relevant curve / rating underneath e.g. B32
I wanted reassurance that the devices were 32 amp. Apparently this is going to change in the near future, and the range code will be made less confusing.

David Savery has used these. I think he did a video on them. He rates them quite well.

I found it:

David saverys real reason for using them is apparently they will only sell to qualified electricians ? And that the diyers wouldn't be able to get mcbs and the like for them, but I don't know how true that actually is ?

David saverys real reason for using them is apparently they will only sell to qualified electricians ? And that the diyers wouldn't be able to get mcbs and the like for them, but I don't know how true that actually is ?
A Napit number was enough to get an account - they did apparently look me up and check as I made a typo the first time.
I don know how/if they verify non-scam victims.

I posted a few years ago about these and the farce of opening an account etc etc . I have yet to buy one .BUT , I was informed over the phone by a lady that a sale would be no problem :)
Interesting! Though I wonder how many rookie sparks (for want of a better expression) would have any interest in buying them anyway. I’m not sure most would expend the effort when screwfix is easier. It’s good to know that they would have sold to you.

Reply to SBS Trade consumer units in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net