Discuss Slight damage to SWA cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A repair is always possible, but depending on how damaged it is in the segment it might need two joints and a new small section inserted.

But I would start by cutting mid-damage and seeing if it looks clean enough that it can simply be joined in a suitable torpedo style of resin joint. Something like this:

As the cable has not been installed yet you can easily do an IR test (having checked the far end is clear of any shorts, etc) to get an idea if it is OK even before you start cutting (which you should not do until you are ready with a joint to finish it).

Edit: I would try and simply part the cores, etc, without cutting through, it is best if you don't have actual joints and simply use the resin unit to allow it to be inspected and covered over if no real damage is seen.

I hope that’s not a concentric, with the red core showing.
Could be a DNO job.

Slightly more mangled than I thought at first… a little bit of tape isn’t going to help.

Did you not see the yellow warning tape?
see y last thread, the inner insulation is red. see the pics. Ill give it a thorough inspection first

As @pc1966 said it's likely you won't have to completely cut it and start again, probably just get a torpedo case around it if IR readings are ok.

They are actually quite easy to use. This video shows the whole process.

Absolute worst case is two joints and a new section, like this one I had to do:

Slight damage to SWA cable 1648227844121 - EletriciansForums.net

A repair is always possible, but depending on how damaged it is in the segment it might need two joints and a new small section inserted.

But I would start by cutting mid-damage and seeing if it looks clean enough that it can simply be joined in a suitable torpedo style of resin joint. Something like this:

As the cable has not been installed yet you can easily do an IR test (having checked the far end is clear of any shorts, etc) to get an idea if it is OK even before you start cutting (which you should not do until you are ready with a joint to finish it).

Edit: I would try and simply part the cores, etc, without cutting through, it is best if you don't have actual joints and simply use the resin unit to allow it to be inspected and covered over if no real damage is seen.
Thanks pc1966 - ill clean the muck off remove the damaged outer sheathing and then inspect and use the resin cover without cutting the cables if there is no visible damage. ill post pics once completed

If you’re absolutely sure there’s no damage to the inner cores, or the breaks in the armour strands, then wrap self-amalgamating tape around it.
It’s more waterproof than insulating tape.

For something that looks more professional… get an underground torpedo joint….
Don’t make a joint, but encase the damaged section within the torpedo and fill with resin as normal.

Have you got a photo? Some repairs are more suitable depending on severity of damage.
Thanks littlespark - ill clean the muck off remove the damaged outer sheathing and then inspect and use the resin cover without cutting the cables if there is no visible damage

When he said nicked the outer sheath. i was thinking a small cut and was going to say just wrap a load of electrical tape or heat shrink to protect the SWA from getting rusty.. I guess this highlights the problem with forums, one persons nicked it with a spade is another persons mashed it with a spade..

As @pc1966 said it's likely you won't have to completely cut it and start again, probably just get a torpedo case around it if IR readings are ok.

They are actually quite easy to use. This video shows the whole process.

Absolute worst case is two joints and a new section, like this one I had to do:

View attachment 96365
Thanks Tim - thats is really useful. ill inspect it and send in the results. wher di you purchase the torpedo from? CEF dont have any in stock at the store so will need to order it in

Thanks Tim - thats is really useful. ill inspect it and send in the results. wher di you purchase the torpedo from? CEF dont have any in stock at the store so will need to order it in
I got it from one of my usual local merchants.
Screwfix sell them, search "resin joint"

When he said nicked the outer sheath. i was thinking a small cut and was going to say just wrap a load of electrical tape or heat shrink to protect the SWA from getting rusty.. I guess this highlights the problem with forums, one persons nicked it with a spade is another persons mashed it with a spade..

I wouldn't recommend insulating tape. Self-amalgamating tape is more appropriate.

Reply to Slight damage to SWA cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock