Discuss I damaged a 10 awd cable in my ceiling! Help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

ZaphodIII

DIY
Reaction score
Post a sizable tree branch puncturing my flat roof and ceiling in what is a converted garage, I did still more damage in my efforts to repair the sheetrock. Yes, I’m the idiot who took a jigsaw to the ceiling and am now paying for it.

I’ve already used an in-line splice to repair two 12 awd cables that took the brunt of my errant blade, as well as wrapped electrical tape around another wire that had some damage on the outer sheath only. My main concern is the 10 awd, or what I think is a 10 awd cable. In the included photo I’ve cut some of the insulation back so as to reveal the damage.

1. is the badly damaged ground wire that big of a deal? I’m thinking it will still do it’s job despite my best efforts.

2. How bad does the damage to the hot white wire appear to you? I’v felt it and looked it over and think that it isn’t too bad.

3.How likely would you be to simply repair this with tape or some other simple fix?

4. What would you do to repair this if tape isn’t good enough? I don’t think there is enough slack to use a junction box, or is there a workaround for that?

I’m pretty much a complete novice but not afraid to try it myself - I’ve paid too many pros too much for a shoddy end result too often. Appreciate your take, especially on point 3 ;-) Thanks!

01270775-EE4F-4C9E-B599-374EB6F2E33E.png

TL;DR
Is the damage too severe to repair with tape? What other methods could I use for repair?
Sorry to say it, tape is not a repair, it is a bodge.
you really want a professional to come and repair the damaged cables.

Reply to I damaged a 10 awd cable in my ceiling! Help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net