Discuss Supplier service head and cut out fuse needs replacing? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all I completed my first EICR a couple of days ago and some of you have helped with the codes, a major concern I had was the age and condition of the service supply head. As you can see from the photos the wiring looks 30+years old with a tangle of wires going everywhere.
Do I call out SSE to have the service head replaced or is that the customers responsibility.
IMG_2139.jpgIMG_2138.jpg

Thankyou
Richard

Hello

The cable looks like very old cloth covered stuff. I'd recommend either you or the householder tell the supplier it needs replacing, and put that on the EICR/covering letter
whether they do or not, or try to charge for it is another matter!

Or you could say theres a strange smell of burning coming from it

That DNO service cut-out is a dam sight older than 30 years, more like 60 to 70+ years!!

The DNO were supposed to have had a purge on replacing these old cut-outs, as the ceramic re-wirable fuses were disintegrating when disturbed, making them extremely dangerous to anyone (DNO staff) removing the service fuse. It was supposed to of been completed end of 2011 i think, but as per usual it's no-where near completed. ...So much for the regulatory body who ordered the purge on these old cast iron cut-outs being replaced!!!

Contact your DNO and remind them of their obligation to replace such cast iron re-wirable service cut-outs. No joy, then contact the regulator responsible...

Totally agreee with ENG54 late 40's early 50's for that type of cable ,and it ruined my exmas day as i had a callout to a family who could smell burning , it was the braided supply cable the insulation had gone and the cable ran the full length of the house on the fascia and the full length of cable was steaming 3 hours later the cable was ripped out by the DNO and replaced with a new cutout so contact the DNO im sure they change it

I'm having loads of issues with DNO, have got a 1930's head (cast one) that needs upgrading and a PME. they have quoted £1500.
Can't do a TT as they have about 3 foot of concrete outside as a ramp right upto the street path so PME only option, Must be the most expensive DNO quote i've seen to date.

I'm having loads of issues with DNO, have got a 1930's head (cast one) that needs upgrading and a PME. they have quoted £1500.
Can't do a TT as they have about 3 foot of concrete outside as a ramp right upto the street path so PME only option, Must be the most expensive DNO quote i've seen to date.

Contact the local branch of the national regulatory authority, ...there is no charge for replacing those cast iron re-wirable cut-out service heads, they have been ordered to replace them. ...And if there is an existing DNO earth that has failed at the head, then that too is not chargeable.

Contact the local branch of the national regulatory authority, ...there is no charge for replacing those cast iron re-wirable cut-out service heads, they have been ordered to replace them. ...And if there is an existing DNO earth that has failed at the head, then that too is not chargeable.
Was not aware of that E45, main problem is no earth conection on it as was left as really early TT with waterpipe earth, 1933 (bit exact i know) i had local knowledge as lived in next street. Will have to do some homework on your post so i have the right wording. any pointers to look up first ?

Thankyou for your advice I called SSE yesterday and was thanked for alerting them. They came within 8 hours and replaced the service head. The first engineer looked at the head and shook his head as it was outside his training, the second engineer thought he could tackle the head but was informed by his supervisor not to touch it due to the risk involved. Eventually they found someone with the right training and experience to replace it, not a job I would like to do! Now to bring the rest of the house up to spec

Reply to Supplier service head and cut out fuse needs replacing? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net