Discuss Time to join Stroma? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Joined storma 5 weeks ago, the best inspection I've ever had. Actually wanted to see my design calcs and circuit diagram before the site inspection and some real in-depth questioning on my knowledge not like the other three that I've been with.

Interesting input.

Elecsa "inspections" are relatively easy and you are not the first person to say the Stroma "inspection" is more detailed!!

If it's just NICEIC domestic scope that they ask for, I'd imagine that that could be questioned as they would need to be able to prove that the other Part P schemes do not provide the same level of service.

Edit...(sorry responding to MDJ's post - should have quoted it).

If it's just NICEIC domestic scope that they ask for, I'd imagine that that could be questioned as they would need to be able to prove that the other Part P schemes do not provide the same level of service.

And what service would that be??

Well, we all know very little. But a local authority has to be able to justify choosing one service provider over another. Therefore for Part P scope schemes, I can't see that they can specify any one over the others.

Well, we all know very little. But a local authority has to be able to justify choosing one service provider over another. Therefore for Part P scope schemes, I can't see that they can specify any one over the others.

Working for local councils is not something I want to contemplate so the badge is irrelevant.

Again I agree with you, but I am telling you how it is in the world of public spending and in the world of most of industry, the NICEIC are reconised as the standard lmao, why I have no idea but it is how it is, I ran a firm for 13 years which worked on projects which was funded by the public purse over 3 different counties, all wanted the NICEIC and wouldn't consider anyone else, this in domestic and commercial/industrial, it is just how things are, and it is wrong, but it is happening.

Now that you are on the council lists, then is the time to be able to change.
I am on the list mate!
"Oh you want to know about my current registration!":juggle2:
If I changed richard they would send an e-mail around all the schools etc telling them I would not be allowed to work on the premises, thats Glos council for you.

If I changed richard they would send an e-mail around all the schools etc telling them I would not be allowed to work on the premises, thats Glos council for you.

If that is really what would happen, then you could make a bloody fortune in court actions against the council. I doubt if the other Scam providers would be happy to let that situation continue either....

At the end of the day, all my customers know the NICEIC.
Yes I do agree there domestic installer scheme is a scam, as with all domestic installer schemes. I have been with elecsa, Napit and now NIC as approved contractor and domestic installer.
Elecsa/NAPIT assessments were a joke! Do three tests and he's on his way. At least with the NIC they look at 5 of my jobs a year and assess properly! Customer piece of mind I guess.
You have to go with what will benefit your business. Personally Approved contractor status is about all you can do on the approvals side.....
As long as you do a good compliant job you will never have a problem.

Or.....be judged on the quality of your work and reputation.

i've never understood why it's so important to have any badge. I get MDJ's point re councils. But having a sticker on a van is not proof of competence. Its proof of a few hours meeting in a year (or less) and a financial transaction.

as Murdoch has said in a "Stroma" thread, being in a scheme allows me to self notify.

Thats it!

In the last ten years i have probably been asked if Im "registered" twice. And never "which scheme". But as mentioned I can see that may vary depending on ones customer base (councils, insurance).

The point Im making is that the quality of work you do day in day out and the reputation therefore gained is only down to you, your conscientiousness, and not cutting corners / bodging / skipping tests / making stuff up, etc that cannot be down to anyone else. Or proved by wearing a badge that was bought.

i suppose Im trying to say I think it is a false veil.

But if it helps win business do it. As said above your customer base / what you do may be benefitted by the badge, like MDJ has described.

Last edited by a moderator:
One other point that the Stroma discussion confirmed:

Notification Fees:

Stoma ÂŁ1.80 + VAT

NICEIC/Elecsa ÂŁ3.00 + VAT

Another saving there too - all be it a small one!

At the end of the day, all my customers know the NICEIC.
Yes I do agree there domestic installer scheme is a scam, as with all domestic installer schemes. I have been with elecsa, Napit and now NIC as approved contractor and domestic installer.
Elecsa/NAPIT assessments were a joke! Do three tests and he's on his way. At least with the NIC they look at 5 of my jobs a yearand assess properly! Customer piece of mind I guess.
You have to go with what will benefit your business. Personally Approved contractor status is about all you can do on the approvals side.....
As long as you do a good compliant job you will never have a problem.

And the NIC's assessments for DI and AP isn't a joke??

20 - 30+ years ago the ''Approved Contractor'' accreditation could be said to have meant something, Contractors had to jump through all the loops and conform to far far more than is needed today. What's more the assessors were in a totally different class to those of today, that like to make up their own rules and regs...lol!!

Today it's all about the quantity and the money. You're just another run of the mill contractor or even one man band, that's being mugged. Being classed as a AP only gives the customer a perceived piece of mind, the reality is a far different matter!!

Yes I do agree, my company is small, and I see its a money making scheme. But what do you do??
As for the assessments, as far as I have experienced the NICEIC approved was a lot more in depth. But then so it should be.
I can only go off what I'm told of the old NIC but from what everyone says we need to go back!!

I've only just seen this thread..

I have no idea what the other schemes are like when they visit, what they ask to see, what there technical departments are like, how easy they are to communicate with etc etc so its difficult to rate Stroma without a comparison. Also, I would think that 'to a degree' the assessment varies depending on who the actual assessor is, regardless of the scheme. Although I would like to think that the scheme has some bearing on the visit as they must have some 'values or rules' that are instilled into the assessor at least a little.

I have been with Stroma for just over 2 years now and have had 2 visits. I should have had a third by now but they are not the best at communication and have not contacted me or asked for this years ÂŁ288, so I am just letting it run and I will see if I am still able to notify when I have a notifiable job to do!

The assessor I have is called 'Nigel', they have other assessors but not too many I think. He is very thorough (which I like) and has spent 3/4 of a day each time (approx).

Just before the second visit they tried to charge me ÂŁ576 for the visit, saying it would be a day. I declined and spoke to the boss who apologised and was charged ÂŁ288. The point being, I think they may have been having some teething problems and the price is now set at ÂŁ288.

I wonder how long they will keep the price at ÂŁ288, but from what Richard says it may stay at that price, who knows?

I'd be interested to know what you think of them Spartykus, and if you think they differ (for better or worse) from the other schemes?

Good luck Murdoch, and let us know how you get on with them. On the whole I cant complain, especially at ÂŁ200 cheaper than the rivals.

Reply to Time to join Stroma? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net