Discuss Two houses fed of one houses mains - what are my rights. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

2 types.
1.dual RCD board so the circuitsa re split half on each RCD. downside is if the RCD trips, you lose half the curcuits. aveage cost installed £400.
2.All RCBO board. each circuit has it's own MCB/RCD combined so a fault will only disable the one circuit. average cost installed £550.

then there's options of Surge protection and arc fault detection both of which will escalate the cost/s.
He did say it will only trip the
anyway, should have bee a EIC for a new CU, not a EICR.
20210208_180957.jpg20210208_181011.jpg20210208_181046.jpg
The wiring to our CU is new aswell, nor sure if that actually means anything.

Problems there with the earth to next door, in my opinion...and that main one looks iffy.
As with the example I showed earlier, the conduit is clamped and dodgy.
I would have thought the DNO would install separate incoming fuses.
What's that sealable connection block, bottom right? Is it being used for earths, by any chance?

Being a BG board im guessing a shower of s**t
Why is it that every single BG board photo posted here has unused MCBs left in it? I've never done that on a CU install. I keep looking at the Kitchen Sockets MCB, it seems to be sitting up at an odd angle, I hope the busbar is the correct side of the terminal clamp.

Why is it that every single BG board photo posted here has unused MCBs left in it? I've never done that on a CU install. I keep looking at the Kitchen Sockets MCB, it seems to be sitting up at an odd angle, I hope the busbar is the correct side of the terminal clamp.

Populated boards that don't come with any blanks? A case of using whatever is to hand.

ive seen two feeds from one intake, but never one like that where the tails go directly through wall without any protection.
I've got a GRP looped service in mine, comes in at the bottom and goes back down again, 1 set of tails out the top of the Henley for my gaff and I'm guessing next door will have an intake and fuse in their gaff with its own set of tails out the top.

Say what you like but if you don't know about looped services, you don't know and you'll only know if you see them and someone points it out to you.

I've got a GRP looped service in mine, comes in at the bottom and goes back down again, 1 set of tails out the top of the Henley for my gaff and I'm guessing next door will have an intake and fuse in their gaff with its own set of tails out the top.
Nothing unusual about this setup, but I've never seen one like the OP has either.
Even so, you could hardly miss it, located where it is.

And I'd say that old fuse carrier was 60 amps max. Just goes to show that it's served two houses for years without blowing ! Unless it's been 'upgraded'....?

I don't know how all of this works, but basically when he pulled the black wires out to disconnect the electric, it knocked next doors out, they called western power who came out and said both our fuseboards were running off the same volt supply and likley all the houses in the street are the same unless they've had new electrics. Said modern day life means people are finding out about it now because of the strain on the voltage supply.

Or maybe it was all a load of waffle.
Maybe Next door had an older type VOelcb . known to falsely trip when detecting a surge to ground from neighbouring properties. just a thought.

Reply to Two houses fed of one houses mains - what are my rights. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net