Discuss Wage rates for apprentice in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

tecknicaly you should have been given your rises in accordance with your contract Id get on to your Apprentice liason guy @ JIB Although I do know firms where guys havent got a rise for 3 now 4 years it still doesnt mean apprentices should not be given their rises as theirs is to show their progression

Im assuming you have asked your gaffer (I mean the descicion man 0 not the guy you work with but the guy whoes pocket seals up at talk of having to pay out more ??

If your firm aren't JIB registered they can pay you whatever they like :( (Ask me how I know)...£12,500 per year for me before tax etc. (C&G 2330 L3 qualified)

Don't forget that if you've signed the JIB Training Agreement then your employer is committing the CRIME of unlawful deduction of wages. Unfortunately this crime is commonplace.

If you are a member of the Union speak to them.

If your firm aren't JIB registered they can pay you whatever they like :( (Ask me how I know)...£12,500 per year for me before tax etc. (C&G 2330 L3 qualified)

Not quite true. They will have signed the JIB Training Contract and are therefore legally bound by it and the JIB Apprentice wages.

phone the JIB n check with them as the training officer for SJIB was good sorting out this with old firm I worked for when they lads wanted rise on a time basis but hadnt passed exams firm said PASS exams n we will pay rise

That's interesting Risteard, do you know where I can look into this? I would want to get my facts straight before arranging a meeting. :)

Best thing to do is dig up a copy of your Training Contract if you have it. If not, ask your training provider for a copy as it should have been sent to them as well. Also, if you are not a member of the Union consider joining it (membership is quite cheap for Apprentices).

So what is the starting rate for apprentices these days? If you are offered an apprenticeship at 29 and you have level 2 c&g 2330 does it bump your starting rate up?

Best thing to do is dig up a copy of your Training Contract if you have it. If not, ask your training provider for a copy as it should have been sent to them as well. Also, if you are not a member of the Union consider joining it (membership is quite cheap for Apprentices).

Union membership is under £2.00 for apprentices and certainly well worth it, and it will help you spend some of that extra cash!

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works now....If your doing an apprenticeship, personally I would say nowt until your done. Alot of people havn't even got a job to go to at the moment, so I it were me, I would keep your head down and concentrate of getting all your certification finished before you think about kicking up a fuss. My opinion only, obviously.

woah!!! that's a spanner and half richard!
I think that if an employer can afford to employ someone, they can pay them properly, its a slippery slope if we start letting them get away with paying crap. We all need to get them to sign the JIB agreement and stick to it. pprentices aren't slave labour and need to be payed properly.
Obviously all above is in my opinion!

woah!!! that's a spanner and half richard!
I think that if an employer can afford to employ someone, they can pay them properly, its a slippery slope if we start letting them get away with paying crap. We all need to get them to sign the JIB agreement and stick to it. pprentices aren't slave labour and need to be payed properly.
Obviously all above is in my opinion!

No, I quite aggree, and I'v been lucky with previous employment :)

Think of it another way. You could go to Uni, get some Tesco degree, and then PAY 20 odd grand for the privilage.

Or, you could invest your time otherwise, learning a USEFUL skill, and get paid (albeit not alot).

I know what I'd rather be doing.

Over to you.

Adam, you're doing the right thing by inquiring about your wages. Don't listen to these guys, they'd have you working for nothing like an intern for a politician if they had their way!!!
You are doing nothing wrong and BTW, you cannot be sacked for asking genuine questions about your apprenticeship as they have signed an agreement to train you and have a duty to fulfill this in it's entirety!
So well done to you, for NOT listening to the nay sayers that predict doom and gloom if you ask a reasonable question.
Lastly, join the union and become a member alongside all your other electrical brothers, stay in it no matter what you hear about them (and you'll hear a lot of mis-information over the coming years!), and even though you will jump between multiple companies you will always have that bond with the rest of us that you are a member of the electricians union and no company can stop you!!!
N.B. just an observation, but it's good to read a thread relating to a real JIB apprentice for once and just shows that there is apprenticeships on offer and not just fast track courses!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Wage rates for apprentice in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net