Discuss Wagos or crimp? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've had problems with the plastic splitting on cheap crimps and have had to go back to two installs where they were used (crimps bought from Screwfix). I now only use SWA branded ones which I buy from Edmundsons.

Having said that I have had a problem with SWA ones where the middle 'stop' was not properly formed, so the first conductor went too far in and then the second one didn't get enough purchase and so a poor joint was formed. I've had a conversation with the SWA rep when I met him at Edmundsons by chance and he promised to get their quality guys to look into it. Something to watch out for.

1 to watch out for, cheers PC. I'm going to have to re-stock on crimps before long, have'nt bought any for years, I had a huge kit of Ampliversal crimps given to me by an ex boss when he retired but i've just about finished them off now lol.

It was a very frustrating problem. Fortunately the client was both understanding of the problem (I threw my stock of about 1000 crimps into his bin) and appreciative of my efforts to put it right.

Hopefully others reading this will benefit from the learning.

Just as an aside - if you have SWA crimps check them for this. If your exhibit the problem then ring SWA up (the numbers on the packets). The more people call about things like this the more notice a manufacturer is going to take and will put it right.

I would imagine that the hager maintenence fre JB;s are MF marked as they comply with both reg 561 and reg 563, whereas wagos on their own do not coply with reg 561
The hager maintenence frr JB;s use wago series 862 connectors in them and also have the cable clamps as required in 561

I would imagine that the hager maintenence fre JB;s are MF marked as they comply with both reg 561 and reg 563, whereas wagos on their own do not coply with reg 561
The hager maintenence frr JB;s use wago series 862 connectors in them and also have the cable clamps as required in 561

correct, WAGO does not currently carry the MF mark (on the box) but are likely to get this/ apply for it in the new year. To comply the box plus connectors as a package needs to comply and (as I understand it) wago make the connectors and the box is made by a separate manufacturer (but branded wago by agreement and as it is designed for the wago connector).

.. But I take it that if it's crimped (and insulated) connection inside a box, then "MF" marking is not relevant and more or less any choc-box type enclosure meeting IP4X (with cable strain relief if appropriate) would classify?

never done any crimping, so what is there to know about it for a beginner...... i do domestic mainly, the odd week comercial...

in my head you stick to cables in and squeeze.. but im sure is little more than that.... i know less joins the better....

Basically that yes mate, make sure there's no wire showing outside the crimp. Use the right size crimp for the wire & use a good ratchet crimper.

Reply to Wagos or crimp? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net