Discuss what a bargain! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

thekingiam

i had a call out this morning no power to sockets, ok stated 50 call out fee if resolved in an hour or 25 per hour if longer ok nice bloke said.looked at problem ir problem ok seperate upstairs from down check, still unresolved opened up a few more sockets still no joy.started geting bad insulation results on both tails? ok spoke to customer saying probable cable damage some where and when found he would need some sort of rewire,traking the fault was difficult as spurs going downstairs to upstairs conservatory etc.after checking nearly every socket found a socket suplying 2spurs one going outside with ir fault.followed cable to a shed with cable lying on floor in a pool of water,thought i asked every question, no new installations no drilling etc.had a hangover so should of found it sooner,charged him 70 for 4 hours work lol.
wants pir installed on weekend i am not suprised at my prices!

Ok £50 call out this covers your fuel, time getting there & 1st hour. Then three hours at £25 this adds up to £125 you have just lost £55.
We all say if only I checked this first when we find the fault!
Charge properly you have to make a living £70 does not go far these days.

This job did not take you just 4 hours. Say you have been in the trade for 18 years so this job has taken you 18 years and 4 hours you are charging people for your knowledge. What price can you put on 18 years of knowledge?
Please don't under sell your self because it reflects on the trade as a whole.

ok lesson learnt, honestly well respectable bloke i was just happy to give him power and get rid of hangover i am a bit of a soft touch he had a daughter my daughters age and as i am quite new to fault finding and plenty of time on my hands at moment no problem.give me a while and prices will increase as demand grows.

i had a call out this morning no power to sockets, ok stated 50 call out fee if resolved in an hour or 25 per hour if longer ok nice bloke said.looked at problem ir problem ok seperate upstairs from down check, still unresolved opened up a few more sockets still no joy.started geting bad insulation results on both tails? ok spoke to customer saying probable cable damage some where and when found he would need some sort of rewire,traking the fault was difficult as spurs going downstairs to upstairs conservatory etc.after checking nearly every socket found a socket suplying 2spurs one going outside with ir fault.followed cable to a shed with cable lying on floor in a pool of water,thought i asked every question, no new installations no drilling etc.had a hangover so should of found it sooner,charged him 70 for 4 hours work lol.
wants pir installed on weekend i am not suprised at my prices!
well thats what happens when you go out gettin ale`d up during the week....lolffs....anyway...at least you found the fault......ther`l be some around that would have been goin round for hours pickin their arses tryin to find it...without success...and without the `alexcuse`....lol....:drunk::8:

Hi I am glad you can see my point I have been there and made the same mistake worried about what the person might say when you ask them for the money so you say less to make it sound better. The problem is when they then tell there friends he only charged me £70 for half a days work then they expect the same prices and it is hard so it makes it harder to put your prices up. As the saying goes there is nothing worse than a busy fool.
£25 for a PIR change by the time you have gone to the wholesaler then driven to the job made up invoice you will make nothing £50 minimum charge for everything.

i will charge what i feel apropriate at the time,i turned up half soaked ( Not a good impretion ) by the way guy was talking on phone i was thinking rcd failure.told him my rates,then changed them because first tests i thought indicated burnt wire therefore some type of rewire.told him i need to locate fault so as to quote for rewire,extent of damage etc.i don't like charging people too much and them not being able to live in there house until a rewire is done.also thinking at time if alot more works need doing try to come across cheap so get big job lol.i obviously need to have more problem solving experiance as i was wrong.if he tells other people how cheap i am great i will tell them what i charge normaly and take it or leave it, i doubt they will.

Reply to what a bargain! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net