Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss What do you call the plug with no name? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Yellow for 110V, blue for 230V, red for 400V. Other colours for special applications.
16A, 32A, 63A and 125A, 2P+E, 3P+E, 3P+N+E.

You know what I'm talking about. They've been around for 50 years, but no-one can yet agree what to call them.

The official name is "plugs, socket-outlets and couplers for industrial purposes" according to IEC 60309 (formerly IEC309). They go by lots of different aliases... IEC309, BS4343, CEE17... but a lot of people use a manufacturers' name or trademark: Commando, Marechal, Ceeform, or just the current rating 'a 32A plug' or something relevant to them 'Caravan plug'.

What do you call them? Does it depend on who you're talking to?

Charlie_

-
Arms
I grew up calling them industrial plugs..
Depending on who I’m talking to though, also call them commando plugs..
At wholesalers will ask for them by colour, voltage, current and number of pins... they still get it wrong haha

T

The Ghost

Plug top 60309 as in Advance Electrical Installation ISBN 9781136444487

D

Deleted member 26818

Commando or industrial.
Sometimes 3phase, or even 4pin/5pin 3phase.

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Commando plugs always through my training. Is that the MK name ?

I sometimes do work for a commercial printer company that call them shark plugs, probably another brand name.

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
BS4343.

There can be differences if not bs4343 and a particular manufacturers design.
Pin diameter, key slot.
I’ve had cheap caravan leads stuck in our Rolec hook up points because of differing measurements.

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Commando plugs always through my training. Is that the MK name ?

I sometimes do work for a commercial printer company that call them shark plugs, probably another brand name.
We use a lot of shark plugs, they're made by PCE. We use them because they do an all black version which is very fashionable in theatre.

marconi

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed

CEE FORM seems to me the best name to avoid brand and refer instead to 'Certification of Electrotechnical Equipment - CEE'

The link shows the colour coding table and rules for colour, voltage, frequency, ac/dc combination.

Re: Davesparks black shark plugs - black has entries in the colour coding table.

Last edited:
SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Reply to What do you call the plug with no name? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom