Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss What do you call the plug with no name? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Yellow for 110V, blue for 230V, red for 400V. Other colours for special applications.
16A, 32A, 63A and 125A, 2P+E, 3P+E, 3P+N+E.

You know what I'm talking about. They've been around for 50 years, but no-one can yet agree what to call them.

The official name is "plugs, socket-outlets and couplers for industrial purposes" according to IEC 60309 (formerly IEC309). They go by lots of different aliases... IEC309, BS4343, CEE17... but a lot of people use a manufacturers' name or trademark: Commando, Marechal, Ceeform, or just the current rating 'a 32A plug' or something relevant to them 'Caravan plug'.

What do you call them? Does it depend on who you're talking to?

Scolmore Electrical Products

Charlie_

-
Arms
I grew up calling them industrial plugs..
Depending on who I’m talking to though, also call them commando plugs..
At wholesalers will ask for them by colour, voltage, current and number of pins... they still get it wrong haha

T

The Ghost

Plug top 60309 as in Advance Electrical Installation ISBN 9781136444487

D

Deleted member 26818

Commando or industrial.
Sometimes 3phase, or even 4pin/5pin 3phase.

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Commando plugs always through my training. Is that the MK name ?

I sometimes do work for a commercial printer company that call them shark plugs, probably another brand name.

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
BS4343.

There can be differences if not bs4343 and a particular manufacturers design.
Pin diameter, key slot.
I’ve had cheap caravan leads stuck in our Rolec hook up points because of differing measurements.

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Commando plugs always through my training. Is that the MK name ?

I sometimes do work for a commercial printer company that call them shark plugs, probably another brand name.
We use a lot of shark plugs, they're made by PCE. We use them because they do an all black version which is very fashionable in theatre.

marconi

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed

CEE FORM seems to me the best name to avoid brand and refer instead to 'Certification of Electrotechnical Equipment - CEE'

The link shows the colour coding table and rules for colour, voltage, frequency, ac/dc combination.

Re: Davesparks black shark plugs - black has entries in the colour coding table.

Last edited:
Trade names work when there is only one market leader, Hoover, Sellotape - etc. Otherwise it gets confusing as the above comments prove. In the RAF WD40 was called Rocket - because years previously it was originally made by a company called... Rocket. Now everyone calls it WD40 - even if it's GT65 or similar.

Originally made by the Rocket Chemical Co. The company were trying to develop a liquid which displaced water and with the 40th formula they succeeded hence WD40 (Water Displacement, 40th formula).

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CEE FORM seems to me the best name to avoid brand
'Ceeform' is common in the entertainment lighting industry, but I thought it was originally a trademark of Mennekes Elektrotechnik GmBH who were one of the first manufacturers. A quick browse failed to find evidence for or against this, maybe someone can confirm?

The black PCE Shark series have all black bodies to reduce visibility, as distinct from black to denote voltage range. The data label is coloured to indicate the voltage (e.g. a 230V plug has a blue label) which in the case of the plug is concealed when inserted in a socket.

There can be differences if not bs4343 and a particular manufacturers design.Pin diameter, key slot.
I'm not aware of any deliberately non-standard plugs that are partially / forcibly intermateable with BS4343 (STOP PRESS... BS4343 is withdrawn and replaced by IEC 60309-2). I'm thinking these are actually substandard or incorrectly assembled plugs that are supposed to be to IEC 60309. I've seen people manage to put them together with insert in the wrong orientation, could that be it?

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
all depends on the plug. if it's a qualified plug, call it "mate". if it's an apprentice plug, call it "Oi You"

D

Deleted member 105166

Within the events industry, it’s always a ceeform, although not all domestic sparks are familiar with this, or indeed 7909, however all sparks are familiar with them referred to as commandos.

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
It's MK's trademark and well known now, but I don't recall them having much market penetration in the earlier days of IEC309. I wonder how high their profile is outside the UK? It would be ironic for an internationally standardised design to be best known by the local manufacturers' names. The USA knows them as 'pin and sleeve' which is a rather broad description, but distinguishes them from plugs with flat prongs or blades which have always been more common there.

Schuko is also a trademark, owned by an association rather than any one manufacturer. The name is known globally, and is pretty much the only standard name for that type of plug in dozens of countries. You can ask for a Schuko plug in Spain, Iceland, Hungary or Switzerland, all of which have very different languages, and you will be understood. The word 'Schuko' is a contraction of 'Schutz-Kontakt' meaning earth contact, but this is incidental to non-German-speakers.

Perhaps we could do the same for 60309. We should think up a catchy name and popularise it, form an association, then once the name starts to gain traction we sell licences to manufacturers who want to market their 60309 product using that name.

D

Deleted member 105166

Emails from event organisers often refer to them not by name, but by size/flavour - e.g. 63/3, 63/1, 32/3, 32/1, 16/1. Some believe there's a 64A variant, presumably because 2x32=64... but no one's ever requested a 128

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
In telecoms it is Commando, doing events it was Ceeform, it did get confusing at times...

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Perhaps we could do the same for 60309. We should think up a catchy name and popularise it, form an association, then once the name starts to gain traction we sell licences to manufacturers who want to market their 60309 product using that name.
I vote for "nubbin plugs" due the the locating nubbin on the plastic moulding to ensure correct insertion.

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Well if we can call them any names we want, I vote for "Tarquin Fin-tim-lim-bim-lim-bin-bim-bin-bim bus stop F'tang F'tang Ole Biscuitbarrel"

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
I think you'll find it is the members who are keeping this forum/thread going, Pete...we all like some odd-ball time, after all...

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
I think you'll find it is the members who are keeping this forum/thread going, Pete...we all like some odd-ball time, after all...
I agree, but what to call a plug, get a grip, from a long term member just call it "Top" and be done with it, JEZZ

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Or who gives a ****!!!!!!!!
One of my customers did, as a supplier had given them bad advice and they had ended up getting a quote to replace some hundreds of IEC 60309 plugs with the same plugs under a different name. I was on the point of being sent a purchase order for 'Cee17 to Commando adaptors'.

It made me wonder what people in other branches of the industry knew them as. If you don't ask the question, you don't find out.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Ceeform for me
Ceeform for me

CEE FORM seems to me the best name to avoid brand and refer instead to 'Certification of Electrotechnical Equipment - CEE'

The link shows the colour coding table and rules for colour, voltage, frequency, ac/dc combination.

Re: Davesparks black shark plugs - black has entries in the colour coding table.

marconi

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Proper noun

Description

A proper noun is a noun directly associated with an entity and primarily used to refer to that entity, such as London, Jupiter, Sharon, or Microsoft, CEEFORM as distinguished from a common noun, which is a noun directly associated with a class of entities eg cities, planets, names, software, plugs, and primarily used to refer to instances of a specific class.

:)

Last edited:

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
Does a common noun include plug tops as well as plugs? It is, after all, a class of entities, including plugs, plug tops, plug bottoms, tops of plugs?
I am Pirate!
Not a pirate...yes, I am one of them, but I am THE Pirate! Not common at all!
I am, however, a pedant, too...
which is why I shout at the telly/radio when presenters cannot pronounce words properly, and put the emphasis on the preposition...
How I long for the days when every school-leaver could speak English properly...but then, I am an old git, my days are numbered in so many ways, and soon I will be swamped by young people who think they know better, when in fact they know nothing...like apprentices who spend all day on their mobile phones...

Sigh...

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
I am so glad no one mentioned the English language as spoken by cabin crew on aeroplanes...
(Breathing very deeply now...)

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
...and...relax!
Thankfully some kind person has administered my medication...

I truly believe if gin was available on the NHS everyone would be as sane as I.
Just saying...

marconi

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Should it be written the electricians' forums cf electriciansforums? ie: the use of the possesive when one noun possesses another noun?

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
Patron
Strictly speaking the apostrophe should be present. But it's probably done like it is to match the Web url (Web addresses don't have apostrophes).

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
One has to move with the times, littlespark...however, I do drink rum too!

I think, Marconi, that you are quite correct in that it should be electricians' forum.
Clearly, electrician's forum would be wrong, given that would relate to one electrician whose forum it is...and I don't think it could really be a forum if it had only one member. The inability to use an apostrophe in a web address precludes either version, methinks.

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Stupid is more apt, what a waste of members time to keep this forum going IMO
If you don't like the thread or feel it is wasting your time then just ignore it. By posting in the thread to say that it is a waste of time you are adding to it and helping to keep it active.

Reply to What do you call the plug with no name? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
Top Bottom