Discuss working close friends of family and the likes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

tight so and so's..i cant belive people charge their parents,even for materials,i mean how much has it cost to bring you up over the years...and even where your older you can always rely on ya ma for a sub....i also work free for mates if they provide or pay for the materials

dont you just hate when working for close friends of family, then you bill them and then makes you fee un comfortable after all hard work..... example; pat tested 60 items, changed 5 socket fronts and added new double socket beside cu. charged the guy £151.50 , have me mother and all ringing me now... wtf..

whats your views on this
i wont do it...full stop!!
its more trouble than its worth is this malarky....

i have friends and family that run there own businesses ie pubs, painters, builders etc the way we all do business for each other is to charge our standard rates for works done
We tried years ago to "owe" each other but when i said you owe me 200 pints to one friend he nearly fainted (showed him the cost of materials then hourly rate), he now pays once done and if i need a beer i go there or local shop as i get more for my money :)

Obviously my parents, grandparents brother and sister will get my services for free. But mates rates only works when it works both ways!
I have a mate who works for an aerospace company, what is he going to give to me at mates rates?
I know a lot of women (freinds/sisters and wifes friends etc) they hear I am an electrician and then say "oh that's handy to know" . Then they think I'm going to spend hours round their houses fixing this and that for buttons.

A favour is only a favour when the favour is returned, otherwise it's called being taken for a mug.

Parents only pay materials at cost, and grandparents offer lil labour. Have done mates rates before and dont think it helps esp if you have to make call backs and you end up spending more on petrol than youve charger in the first place. Best ive ever done is fitted a boiler for £100 for my mate as it took only the day, and hes helped me move home 100miles away in the past.
Ive done work for family members friends ie change a set of taps at mates rates, then quoted for larger work at roughly £150 per day and have been told im too expensive to which I replied, try searching for lower, and you will be getting a rubbish job done.

theres a theme developing here re mates rates,what can i get in return...does no one do favours anymore,if he's your mate treat him like one,favours can come in many forms,like feeding/looking after the dogs/checking your house when your on holiday,picking you up from town on a night out etc...its not all about money..i thought thats what mates do..

Yeah I guess I'm cynical because I've helped people in the past and when its come around and I needed a hand people have let me down. But I know who I can count on now, the others pay just like anyone else.

This guy has 8 cafe's, fair enough I get odd latte and bam when working but @ 15 an hour that's cheap time you take organising stuff ,diesiel tell you what you,d make more cleaning windows and cutting grass. And tools cost a mi nute fraction of cost

This guy has 8 cafe's, fair enough I get odd latte and bam when working but @ 15 an hour that's cheap time you take organising stuff ,diesiel tell you what you,d make more cleaning windows and cutting grass. And tools cost a mi nute fraction of cost

who is he tho,a brother in law.thats neither friends or family imo...bill him

theres a theme developing here re mates rates,what can i get in return...does no one do favours anymore,if he's your mate treat him like one,favours can come in many forms,like feeding/looking after the dogs/checking your house when your on holiday,picking you up from town on a night out etc...its not all about money..i thought thats what mates do..
Hic...Alarm Man, Hic.....I'm at The Steamboat and Hic..I'm hammered. Hic...Any chance Hic ..of lift? Hic.. you're my best mateyou are Hic....
Oh man, I think I'm going to hurl.
:)

Hic...Alarm Man, Hic.....I'm at The Steamboat and Hic..I'm hammered. Hic...Any chance Hic ..of lift? Hic.. you're my best mateyou are Hic....
Oh man, I think I'm going to hurl.
:)

any other time trev yes,but i finished me shift at 6 so i deserve a light refreshment or 10..before it all starts again 2mora

Reply to working close friends of family and the likes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net