Discuss 13amp socket for old storage heater in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I changed the wording about a bit to make more sense as to what I was trying to say
Theres a difference between good practice and what you can do. There is a big difference in price between doing whats you can do and what could do, so its all down to the customer.
agreed but for the extra expense of adding a RCD Spur at the board meaning everything you altered is now compliant... I’d say if the customer thinks that’s too much extra I’d think it’s not worth it and walk away. remember it would be you standing up in court trying to justify why you left out RCD protection for the circuit not the customer. Would be different if it was like for like replacement ie replacing a 13Ampsocket with a new 13 Amp socket

Thanks everyone, there board has a RCD in it, and I’m not altering any wires or anything. It’s just a simple matter of taking the storage heater off and using the existing cables to connect a socket.
Works fine but as someone has said it’s on an off peak board so that will have to change.

agreed but for the extra expense of adding a RCD Spur at the board meaning everything you altered is now compliant... I’d say if the customer thinks that’s too much extra I’d think it’s not worth it and walk away. remember it would be you standing up in court trying to justify why you left out RCD protection for the circuit not the customer. Would be different if it was like for like replacement ie replacing a 13Ampsocket with a new 13 Amp socket
Why does the cable need RCD/RCBO protecting if you havent altered it? BS7671 isnt retrospective so only what you install on a circuit has to comply not the whole circuit.

Unless an rcd is required for fault protection then the advice given is correct, fit an rcd socket. There is no need to provide additional rcd protection to the existing circuit as such however, this seems academic as the OP states the board has some form of rcd protection but has not verified if it is 30ma.

Unless an rcd is required for fault protection then the advice given is correct, fit an rcd socket. There is no need to provide additional rcd protection to the existing circuit as such however, this seems academic as the OP states the board has some form of rcd protection but has not verified if it is 30ma.
I hadn’t actually realised that the board had RCD protection but in all cases where I change the purpose of the circuit even I haven’t altered the actual wiring I’ll stick an RCD on it for a couple of extra quid what’s the point in not doing it? As I said but if it’s simply like for like replacement then I wouldn’t I know BS7671 isn’t retrospective but as I said what’s the point in not making a circuit slightly safer for a few quid...

It would depend if your alteration would result in the requirement for additional rcd protection. Obviously there is nothing wrong with you doing this but it is not necessarily required.

Edit - worded my point better
Yeah the RCD socket will comply for the requirements for all socket outlets to have RCD protection but as you were the last to touch the circuit I think the Derry would fall with you saying that it’s safe for continued use even though the requirements for RCD protection haven’t been met though could smack an RCD spur at the board and then it would comply without having to change the board...

With an RCD spur that one cable to that point will comply, but every other cable in the installation won’t. So in order for your RCD spur to provide protection if an accident occurs you’d need to make sure that the accident occurs where that cable is buried.

Partial protection is really no protection at all.

It would depend if your alteration would result in the requirement for additional rcd protection. Obviously there is nothing wrong with you doing this but it is not necessarily required.
I agree that it could be considered overkill but just in my opinion it’s better to do it...

With an RCD spur that one cable to that point will comply, but every other cable in the installation won’t. So in order for your RCD spur to provide protection if an accident occurs you’d need to make sure that the accident occurs where that cable is buried.

Partial protection is really no protection at all.
Protection on the circuit you were last to touch though means that if the accident occurs with the circuit you last worked on you’ve done everything reasonably practicable to prevent injury etc.

Its fine to change the DP switch to an RCD single socket. A radial circuit off a 16A MCB.
But as others have mentioned, it will be off an off-peak board. So socket will only work between the hours of 12 midnight and 7am
BST means E7 is on between 01.00 and 08.00 at the moment as all E7 meters use GMT, could also be E10 so socket would be on and off all day and night or even Heatwise when the socket would only be good for a set of disco lights :)

Reply to 13amp socket for old storage heater in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock