Discuss against the law or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

adzberry

My employer is trying to persuade the apprentice to start doing DEICR's on his own as he has "watched me doing them for ages" where does the law stand on this?

And to answer any questions - this is one of many reasons I start with a new company in 2 weeks

if he's competent to do them, happy and confident to do them, maybe. but he should make it clear that the company carry the can for any cock-ups.

but the boss could be a muppet, just trying to get eicr's done on the cheap.

well no but when I was halfway through my third year my gaffer started putting me on my own jobs why because he saw potential and this brought me on so in my 4th year I was running decent I&C jobs and having to train domestic time served sparks plus the company made more money paying me apprentice wages and charging for a spark. I thought he was taking advantage of me at the time 30 years later its a case of give me the boy and I will make the man

well no but when I was halfway through my third year my gaffer started putting me on my own jobs why because he saw potential and this brought me on so in my 4th year I was running decent I&C jobs and having to train domestic time served sparks plus the company made more money paying me apprentice wages and charging for a spark. I thought he was taking advantage of me at the time 30 years later its a case of give me the boy and I will make the man

Very true , but the first thing that went though my mind was: 'give me the boy and I will give you the Van (horse)' - not very fair and i can see why the OP has legged it.

Some of the apprentices I have worked with were 'hot to trot' - translated in this instance , they were good

I know what you're saying as I ran jobs in my 3rd year of being an apprentice etc, but this apprentice is half way through year 1 and been on the tools for all of 9 months! Everything the company does is backwards and I don't want to be associated anymore! Another one he did was.... Telling a customer that the LED lights he's supplied are 'fire rated' as in an old cottage with exposed beams fire rated downlights wouldn't fit and it was near on impossible to fit fire hoods (this job was replacing downlights already wired, in a living room with living accommodation above) also I wasn't the spark doing the job, just heard him on the phone to a customer

Hellishly difficult to stand up in a court of law and prove competence without the requisite qualifications and experience. Nothing illegal but thinking someone is competent and proving they are are not the same thing.

Reply to against the law or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net