Discuss ALTO AL5181 and Custom 3 gang 500W Dimmer in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mdproctor

We have a 3 x 8 light fittings in an L shaped kitchen area less than 40m2. We are fitting ALTO AL5181 "fire rated downlight fixed" 12V 50W.
http://www.wf-online.com/pdf/ALTO_Lighting.pdf

My builder insists they must be fitted with 50W bulbs, as that's what they come with. With 8 lamps per gang, that exceeds the 400W norm for "off the shelf" dimmers, so a custom 500W dimmer is needed. The instructions give no range, it just says "50W", but I've not heard of 50W low voltage downlights that cannot work of a range from 20W to 50W. We have Hamilton in the rest of the house and want to fit it here, but that only goes up to 400W.

1) Is an ALTO AL5181 really restricted to only 50W, or can it use a range from 20W to 50W. Where a 35W lamp will work on a standard 400W dimmer.

2) Do I really want to have a <40M2 room fitted out with 24x50W low voltage bulbs? A "friend" advised me that 20W would actually more than suffice in my current situation and would save running costs..... So I figured 35W was a good compromise.

Also is a "custom" made dimmer really a good idea?
mrsocket.co.uk
MrSocket claims they can provide a custom 3 gang 500W, flat plate, dimmer. But if it was a good idea, i suspect i'd see more "off the shelf" 500W and 600W 3 ways. Instead I only see 1 gang rated at higher than 400W.

Reply to ALTO AL5181 and Custom 3 gang 500W Dimmer in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Recently moved into a new home and replaced the main light fitting in the sitting room. We replaced it with this dimmable LED fitting: ENDON...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Deltalight, Eutrac, LEDS-C4, PSM, SLV and WOFI as well lamps and lightbulbs from Osram, Syvania, Megaman and FN. Lighting Design Toplightco is a...
Replies
Views
S
Hello, I wonder if someone can help me here. My understanding is : Leading edge dimmers are suitable for mains GU10 halogen lamps, but need to...
Replies
Views
scanner
S
Hi, I've read a few threads about buzzing dimmers on here but still have a query and would like some advice please.; Customer has x4 low voltage...
Replies
Views
nuelec
N
H
We have two wrought iron light fittings in our lounge that take five candle lamps in each. Using 25watt incandescent bulbs gives the right amount...
Replies
Views
dingledong
D

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock