Discuss Am i doing enough .... ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm confused, from what I got from the post an Electrician has taken on a lad and is teaching him the trade
Props to his boss, not many willing to take anyone on and pay them out of their own pocket.

Also if you are not sure on the awkward stuff ask the sparks to double check your work as then after a while your confidence will grow and there will be no need to ask him.

I think I got dumped in to the deep end, doing conduit and lending Ron a £1 on Wednesdays for the dogs at the bookies, I was 17.......

OP, can you confirm if the sparky you are working with is your boss? It will save these guys starting a fight with each other :)

Westwards Tash is too long and needs a trim and Pete needs to unplug the auto --- wash from his trousers, then tensions will cool.

I've been working with an electrician full time for the last 3 months...
I feel like I'm not doing good enough...
I make mistakes...
If I keep trying will I get it ?

I've taken the liberty to edit down your original post, I hope you don't mind? My feedback is :
Great that you got off your rear.
Great you noticed but do not beat yourself up.
Great you noticed, remember and try not to repeat.
You keep trying and you will be Great :) .

Ive been working with an electrician full time for the last 3 months. Before that i was in college for a year.

I feel like im not doing good enough. In 5 hours i only second fixed 4 sockets, 10 spots and 7 smokeys. Ive done more than that in a time frame before but its probably not far from my average. I feel im too slow but if i try to speed up it doesn't seem to work at this point as i feel like i rush and end up slower.

After only 3 months out of college and you’re managing to 2nd fix 4 sockets, 10 spots & 7 Smokey’s in 5 hours and you’re still learning on the job, I’d say that’s pretty good going. Whenever anyone starts a new job they always start out slowly and make sure everything is done ‘as per training’, as you gain more experience over time and as others have said, you’ll start to learn the ‘tricks of the trade’, that ensure you work faster & smarter, but to the same exacting standards. Don’t beat yourself up over it.

Have a chat with your sparky/boss and ask for a progress report on how you’ve been doing so far, but remember not to take what he says to heart. A good teach will be critical, but at the same time praising. Good luck in your chosen profession.

Ive been working with an electrician full time for the last 3 months. Before that i was in college for a year.

I feel like im not doing good enough. In 5 hours i only second fixed 4 sockets, 10 spots and 7 smokeys. Ive done more than that in a time frame before but its probably not far from my average. I feel im too slow but if i try to speed up it doesn't seem to work at this point as i feel like i rush and end up slower.

After only 3 months out of college and you’re managing to 2nd fix 4 sockets, 10 spots & 7 Smokey’s in 5 hours and you’re still learning on the job, I’d say that’s pretty good going. Whenever anyone starts a new job they always start out slowly and make sure everything is done ‘as per training’, as you gain more experience over time and as others have said, you’ll start to learn the ‘tricks of the trade’, that ensure you work faster & smarter, but to the same exacting standards. Don’t beat yourself up over it.

Have a chat with your sparky/boss and ask him for a progress report on how you’ve been doing so far, but remember not to take what he says to heart. A good teacher/instructor will be critical, but at the same time praising. Good luck in your chosen profession.

1st year is generally standing about, the fact youre fitting accessories says you are above the average 1st year, dont worry!

i had a 1st year with me who refused to go into lofts/ wouldnt stick his fat hand up through the downlight hole incase he got stuck! hes now a labourer

youre doing well, my advice is work doesnt always stop at 4:30, you will constantly be learning, im still learning, anything that i dont know i spend my own time learning till i remember it

Reply to Am i doing enough .... ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net