Discuss breaker size for 240v 6.6A bandsaw motor, also adapter/plug? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

-Hube-

DIY
Reaction score
Hello electricians. I am not an electrician and am a beginner with limited electrical (I've only been shocked a few times.) experience/ knowledge. I know it may be best to pay for a licensed electrician, but I'm not ready/able to do that yet.

The deal is: I have an old "Walker-Turner" bandsaw that has a Baldor 1HP motor that has a 6-15 plug, has #12 wires and says at 240v it uses 6.6A. I also have an old "Machine Tools Wood And Metal" drill press with 6-15 plug. The drill press's placard is hard to read but it says 1/2 on it so I assume that's the HP. I don't want to spend a lot of money to get these to work as it is for mostly hobby use. Also, my electrical panel only has space left for 2 normal breakers or 4 slim breakers, and I hope I can get away with not having to install new circuits.

I don't know what breaker size I should use for these machines. I think I know that when they start they draw more amps than when running.
I already have a 50amp welder outlet installed that I hope I could use the below adapter to run the bandsaw and drill press. It has a 20 amp breaker in it though, and I don't know if that will be safe.

1 ft. 50 Amp 3-Prong 6-50P Welder Plug to 6-15/20 Outlet with 20 Amp Breaker​

I respect your knowledge and appreciate the help.

I can't follow the link but that adaptor description seems suitable; the 20A breaker in the adaptor should be fine for both those tools at 240V.

I can't follow the link but that adaptor description seems suitable; the 20A breaker in the adaptor should be fine for both those tools at 240V.
The link works for me, maybe you could copy and paste it in the URL bar if interested.

Anyways, thank you for the reply!!! I was hoping it would work! It will save me a lot of time and money that I'm low on at the moment... I guess if I get around to installing a new panel and running circuits for these machines, a 20A CB would still be adequate?

Thanks again! Guys like you on these forums are very helpful and I really appreciate it. 🙏

Ah, it doesn't work for me because I am in the UK. Perhaps you could post a screenshot of the page?

Reply to breaker size for 240v 6.6A bandsaw motor, also adapter/plug? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net