Discuss British Gas shenanigans in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Am at a house today to change the board prior to other works.
Old rewireable board upfront RCD no earth. the earth from the incoming cable was short and just sitting in free air. Had DNO to attend to pull fuse as cutout was old and seal fairy was on holiday!
British Gas still fitted a brand new combi boiler earlier this year to replace immersion heater! spurred off the ring final that covers the whole house, has upfront rcd protection. no earth to property other than a Zsdb reading of 58.2 via the gas pipe!
Interestingly, British Gas stuck stickers on the RCD, Old Cu saying installation at Risk!
If it was that dangerous and at risk why did they proceed and install a new boiler with the faults/lack of earth present? Surely they must realise this is non compliant? Clearly wanted the money and scarper!
On the upside, there was a crack in the lead sheath just before cutout where the door had hit it too many times (which i hadnt noticed) so got a nice new cutout aswell now with a Ze of 0.17.
It amazes me that people trust the British Gas name so willingly and pay the sometimes vastly inflated prices for the work. Albeit sometimes it is not even BG guys doing the work but sub contractors.

Attachments

• British Gas shenanigans 20190729_091718 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190729_091718.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 93
  • British Gas shenanigans 20190729_091707 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190729_091707.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • British Gas shenanigans 20190729_091715 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190729_091715.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
iv'e seen cowboys leave places in better condition than that.
p.s. what is the bare red cable coming out of the light switch all about?

BG are a law unto themselves, they can afford expense legal representation so when things go wrong they can buy their way out.

An unfortunate way of the times.
people at the top of the tree are able to worm there way out of responsibility when someone gets hurt / killed / burnt down with there house and family.

where as some of us are sole traders, always wondering if an unknown mistake we have made could cause a problem.
insurance is great and all that but they will always try to find a way not to pay.
life is not guaranteed to be fair but we all push on in the belief that it is.

and here ends the sermon.

iv'e seen cowboys leave places in better condition than that.
p.s. what is the bare red cable coming out of the light switch all about?
I had just taken the transformer off the wall myself when taking pictures, had to stop and take them as it just struck me how bad it was of them to leave it like that with no earth, the transformer is currently on customers book shelf to go back up when they get a new chime. the switch didnt actually have the out going wires connected up inside. so they are not live.

Should have added to the original post it isnt actually an RCD upfront its one of the old VOELCB things there is a small green wire out bottom of it that at one stage went to a rod, it is disconnected from the remnants of the rod as said rod sits outside front door covered in dirt with no clamp or cover. Dont see many of the voelcbs around these parts nowadays as they have mainly been removed. I often get them confused for the similar looking upfront rcds. the small green wire pokes out the brick work out front where its been cut off and covered with some sealant.

bg are a rule unto themselves quicken enough, to riddor a sole trader but they dont exactly keep a clean house, seen many of there boiler changes in 15mm gas to the boiler which should have been at least 22mm /28mm, and wrong flue termination

Are those BG stickers a bit contradictory or are BG suggesting they are not competent, surely they must have had a competent person on site when they connected the boiler

Reply to British Gas shenanigans in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock