Discuss Cable run under floorboards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Onsite Guide
7.3 Installation Considerations
7.3.1 Floors and Ceilings
Where a low voltage cable is installed under a floor or above a ceiling it must be run in such a position that it is not liable to be damaged by contract with the floor or ceiling or the fixings thereof. A cable passing through a joist or ceiling support must :

I) be at least 50mm from the top or bottom, as appropirate or...
II) have earth armouing or an earthed metal sheath, or
III) be enclosed in earthed steel conduit or trunking, or
IV) be provided with mechanical protection sufficient to prevent penetration of the cable by nails, screws and the likes (NOTE: this requirement to prevent penetration is difficult to meet), or
V) from part of a SELV or PELV Circuit

Last edited by a moderator:
The misunderstanding was because I took 'Since when has running a cable under floorboards/above a ceiling required RCD protection?' To mean just that and I agreed with you.

And 'The 50mm reg is applied to cables buried in wall' to mean that cables below floors do not need to be burried >50mm and I disagreed with that.

You can disagree all you like, but that doesn't make it a regulation.

Cables can be run in notches provided steel plates are fitted over the notches. Purpose made plates are available for this exact purpose.

Onsite Guide
7.3 Installation Considerations
7.3.1 Floors and Ceilings
Where a low voltage cable is installed under a floor or above a ceiling it must be run in such a position that it is not liable to be damaged by contract with the floor or ceiling or the fixings thereof. A cable passing through a joist or ceiling support must :

I) be at least 50mm from the top or bottom, as appropirate or...

522.6.100 does not exist

You have not included the 'or' so appear to be deliberately misrepresenting the regulation to falsely make a point.

If you are going to quote a regulation please quote the full regulation, not just part of it.

You can disagree all you like, but that doesn't make it a regulation.

Cables can be run in notches provided steel plates are fitted over the notches. Purpose made plates are available for this exact purpose.

You like an argument Dave,

I covered all that in post 6,

I'm just trying to help the op not show everybody how clever I am. So with that said I don't think that I can add much more to this thread and I'm getting bored with having to constantly defend myself.

They haven't taken it out, they've messed with the wording and remembered it.

They have to justify the ridiculous cost of a new book so they just remember a lot of regulations and adjust a few words to make the list of changes look bigger.

If you have a look at an old regs book, like the 13th edition you'll find that some regulations haven't changed at all, they just move them around and give them new numbers

Been in this game since 1979, and I can say never have, always drilled out timbers.

I've been in the job for 11 years and I've had notches cut in to timbers a few times.
It's always been on buildings with exposed timbers and ceilings fitted between timbers rather than below them. When you've only got an inch gap between the bottom of the floor and the top of the ceiling you don't really have much other choice. These have been new extensions to grade 1 listed buildings.

They don't look very thick those plates - I'm trying to remember if there was a minimum thickness requirement. Daz

Actually, just I've just checked reg 522.6.204 and it just states 'sufficient to prevent penetration (oo err) of the cable. Daz

Skill sawed through an 6mm cooker circuit, notched, blew me blade to bits, an set blade just at floor board level.

if you cut floorboards with a chainsaw, then you deserve it.

Reply to Cable run under floorboards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net