Currently reading:
Can we also go back to red & black wires please...

Discuss Can we also go back to red & black wires please... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The other oddity is the deciBel but we can quietly ignore that for now.
Yeah odd, but as no one really understands it anyway one can't argue against it....

So when you say it's 10dB bigger that's 10x yes, so the signal is 10x larger?

No that would be 20dB

What, so the power for 10x is 20dB?

No that's 10dB

Err hang on I said that the signal is 10x larger and you said it was 20dB not 10dB

It is yes!

Arrrhhhh....

Now tell me about entropy and enthalpy...

Yeah odd, but as no one really understands it anyway one can't argue against it....

So when you say it's 10dB bigger that's 10x yes, so the signal is 10x larger?

No that would be 20dB

What, so the power for 10x is 20dB?

No that's 10dB

Err hang on I said that the signal is 10x larger and you said it was 20dB not 10dB

It is yes!

Arrrhhhh....

Now tell me about entropy and enthalpy...

The logarithmic dB is not that hard to understand once you grasp it. The thing that makes it slightly more confusing to people, I think, is the difference between voltage gain in dBs and power gain in dBs, and also the weighted dBA unit.

I think I'd need a refresher myself to be honest though!

The logarithmic dB is not that hard to understand once you grasp it. The thing that makes it slightly more confusing to people, I think, is the difference between voltage gain in dBs and power gain in dBs, and also the weighted dBA unit.

I think I'd need a refresher myself to be honest though!
Strictly speaking the dB is always a power ratio dB = 10 * log10(p1/p2). So the use for voltage gain as 20 * log10 (v1/v2) is avoiding the correct use where the related resistances are factored in. But everyone does it...

All of the others like dBA, dBuV, dBW, dBm, etc define p2 to be something common or useful. OK, not always useful...

And lets not speak of the Neper, shall we?

strangely though. D.C. ELV is still red/black, so why is FP200 brown/blue. must be a gender (or some other snowflake fad) thing
DC ELV is not red and black check table 7E of apendix 7 in the book.
Most of the work I do in substations is on DC systems and red and black is never used now. One of the main advantages of the 'new 20 year old' colours is that you can tell from the colours which pole is earthed if any.
Brown and Blue for 110V negative earthed and Blue and Grey for 48V positive earthed. Like wise Black and Black is used for 110V AC circuits which diferentiates them from 240 V circuits in trunkings etc.

DC ELV is not red and black check table 7E of apendix 7 in the book.
Most of the work I do in substations is on DC systems and red and black is never used now. One of the main advantages of the 'new 20 year old' colours is that you can tell from the colours which pole is earthed if any.
Brown and Blue for 110V negative earthed and Blue and Grey for 48V positive earthed. Like wise Black and Black is used for 110V AC circuits which diferentiates them from 240 V circuits in trunkings etc.

I really like the bebs standard numbering for switchgear etc.

You knew instantly what phase, what circuit - whether it was metering, protection, trip circuits, aux etc and roughly where you were in the circuit!
Still got the mustard pamphlet:

20220225_123829.jpg

Plus 1 for the BEBS system, Here is a condensed version for anyone that wants it.

Standard Numbering of small wiring

Condensed

Each wire shall have a letter to donate its function. A number identifying the individual wire will follow the letter. Every branch of any connection shall bear the same identification.

Numbering shall read from the terminals outwards on all wires.

Where part of a circuit is common to more than one function, the first in alphabetical order of the appropriate function letters in the table shall be used for the common part.

Circuits having functions not included in the table shall not have prefix letters.

DC positives shall be odd numbered

DC negatives shall be even numbered

LetterCircuit functionWire Numbers
ACurrent transformers for primary protection, not over current10-29 red phase
30-49 yellow phase
50-69 blue phase
70-89 residual & neutral
90 Earth
91-99 test windings
BCurrent transformers for Busbar protection
CCurrent transformers for over current protection
DCurrent transformers for metering and voltage control
EReference voltage for instruments and metering and protection
FReference voltage for voltage control
GReference voltage for synchronising
HAC and AC/DC supplies1-69 sw gear and generator
70-99 transformers
JDC supplies
KClosing and tripping control circuitsAny number from 1 up
LAlarms and indications
MAux control gear1-19 Sw Gear
20-69 Generators
70-99 Transformers
NTap change controlAny number from 1 up
ONon standard ferruling
PDC tripping for bus bar protection
RInterlock circuits
SDC circuits for control of geny fields
TPilots
USpare cores
VAuto switching circuits
WLight current control
XAlarms and indications General
YTelephones

Reply to Can we also go back to red & black wires please... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back