Discuss Extending Imperial Pyro in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Strima

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've got a job where I need to move a DB, it's currently in a pub kitchen getting covered in grease etc and the location is right above hot surfaces, not an ideal place.

The plan is to install new circuits in the kitchen, food prep and storeroom fed from a new DB in the storeroom. this will be fed from the exiting DB supply. Supply is from BS88 gG 63 amp single phase fused isolator at the intake.

My plan is to install a suitable JB which the pyro gland will be terminated into then use 16mm T&E to extend roughly 3m to the new board location. JB size 150x150.

As expected the pyro has tested fine but I forgot the measure the conductor size before turning back on and now can't get a shutdown until I can do the board move in a couple of months time.

Cable size looks similar to 7/064. The JB and joints can be made accessible so screw connections can be used.

I remember someone posting a link for some what can only be described as baby Henley blocks that would be ideal for this but I cannot remember their name and my Google Fu is failing me today.

So what options do I have?

Can you access the glands...the size will be on them.

Sounds like an adaptable box for jointing, as said.

Last edited:
I'm going with weatherproof purely down to the amount of grease generated in the kitchen, it's small and has two deep fat fryers running most of the day. Typical fried pub grub.

My main headache is jointing the cables.

I could just be lazy and install a rotary isolator... I will now go away and slap myself for suggesting that.

Edit: Why didn't I think of this before, DIN rail in the box with a couple of neutral connector blocks...

I'd still go with galv adaptable box with din rail. We use them regular in kitchens...totally flat surface and overlapping lid, with an isolator nearby, out of the way of the mess.
Nothing wrong with an isolator, if it suits....maybe a decent one.

I'd still go with galv adaptable box with din rail.
Galv box would be easier for terminating the earths.

This is my first kitchen job so I want to get it right first time as this will lead in for more business.

This is my first kitchen job so I want to get it right first time as this will lead in for more business.
Get yourself a pair of non slip boots.

With the pyro, yes, but you've got din rail for earth term.
Good luck with the kitchen work.

If your talking 16mm... that pyro might be a bit solid, too.....I think a bit bigger than a 6''x 6'' box would make it easier. Terms will take up a fair bit of space.

What about a suitably sized IP65 Metal Enclosure, something like this;

Extending Imperial Pyro 1578729265278 - EletriciansForums.net
Bit more nicer looking, and hopefully keep the fat at bay. Lockable as well.

Depends on situation. As a rule it's swa feeding a DB, especially considering the situation and earth required.

Could really push the boat out and get some more MICC. ;)

Could really push the boat out and get some more MICC. ;)
That's the more fun option! For extra super fun, extend the cable with MI by silver soldering the conductors then a brass sleeve over the joint filling it with magnesium oxide powder as you slide it over. I wonder if Pyrotenax still make the sleeves for this type of joint?

That's the more fun option! For extra super fun, extend the cable with MI by silver soldering the conductors then a brass sleeve over the joint filling it with magnesium oxide powder as you slide it over. I wonder if Pyrotenax still make the sleeves for this type of joint?

So that's why one old lad I used to know saved the powder in a tin. I thought he used to snort it over the weekend. ;)

So that's why one old lad I used to know saved the powder in a tin. I thought he used to snort it over the weekend. ;)
You can use it to patch an MI cable with a damaged sheath but un-damaged conductors too. Clean the sheath thoroughly around the damage to allow soldering. Cut out the damaged/burred section and remove any contaminated powder. Make patch out of copper sheet and form to fit cable, clean. Make up a paste with some spare mag ox powder and water and pack it into the cable. Dry the cable gently until insulation resistance reads clear. Silver solder patch on making sure there are no unsoldered gaps around the edge of the patch. Check insulation resistance again then put the kettle on. It's super fun, though I've only had the chance to do it once in a house on a 2L4 that got damaged by a builder waving his circular saw around.

I would love to extend using MICC however a, the customer won’t pay for it, b, the installation method doesn’t warrant it as it will be in trunking.

Reply to Extending Imperial Pyro in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock