Discuss Generator tripping when parallel generators taken offline in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
Hope you’re keeping well. Currently have an issue onbaord with regards to one of generators tripping.

The generator is capable of taking full load when running in parallel with other generators, but when power demand drops and they go offline the faulty generator will trip causing a blackout.
We have swapped the governor from one of the other generators and this did not solve the issue.

I believe it to be the AVR but was told this wasn’t possible as the generator is able to run in parallel with no issues. Possible for other generator to compensate for a slight drop in voltage ?
Have only visually inspected the generator and components.

Any help greatly appreciated. Currently a cadet in study so will need permission and reason before I can get the technician to look at it.

Marine based system using Aconis-2000 PMS.
Both generators have set output of 450V 60hz

Trips approx 10 seconds after other generator goes offline.

Volt low trip - 95% - 10 seconds
Volt low low trip - 85% - 1 second

It does sound like an AVR issue, the other generators will hold the voltage higher if the faulty one is generating at a lower voltage.
the reasons for calling a technician are listed above and quite Simpley.
Intermittent power loss on board due to generator tripping out under load.

as a cadet under training you would not be expected to fully diagnose the fault, only accurately list the symptoms of the failure.

Reply to Generator tripping when parallel generators taken offline in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Like a host of UK residents recently (230% increase in genny sales apparently), I've just invested in a small (3500W) portable, dual fuel...
Replies
Views
Hello All Can I say to start with I am not an electrician but used to be a heating engineer (yes I can hear the groans). I have wired the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in Mexico, where I have a small, un-official trailer park on my property. The property is serviced by my privately owned, 650amp...
Replies
Views
I've purchased Lepro 15m LED strip lights - product code PR410047-RGB-UK, and have fitted them at the top of the walls in my daughter's bedroom...
Replies
Views
And the 1st thing I see is Smeg cooker tripping randomly. So Here's My Issue Have Spent Numerous hours trying to talk to someone at Smug Smeg...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock