Discuss Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

We have this thread on TilersForums.com and it's just been restarted because the old thread had 20,000 replies and 500,000 views. And there were 700 pages. Started to lag a bit on slow connections.

I think we had a bash of this before, but I can't find the thread, so thought I'd start another one off.

If you have time in the mornings, come post in the thread before you head off to work, let us know what you've got on and what the weather is like in your area etc. Anything at all is fine. :)

Posts and likes get counted towards your total stats in this thread.

So GOOOD MORNING PEOPLE - WEATHER IS NICE TODAY IN STOKE. I'M THANKFUL IT'S FRIDAY, HAD A RUBBISH WEEK. THANK GOD IT'S OVER.

View attachment 53708

Last edited:
My back still giving me jip, so I was on a nice easy PAT job…. 60 or so pieces of equipment… mostly office stuff, staff kitchen across 2 sites of this particular company…

View attachment 96385

“Just don’t turn off the fridges… they’re serviced separately”
I suppose this site is one where it is wise never to be found sleeping on the job lest one is mistaken for a stiff.

Woke up this morning to hear about Will Smith at the Oscars, and it’s taken only a matter of hours for someone on the internet to come up with this…..

Now, this is a story, all about how
My wife got dissed, by this here clown
And I’d like to take a minute… just sit right there…
I’ll tell you why I slapped Chris Rock over a joke about her hair…

Can’t wait for the inevitable cries of “cancel The Fresh Prince!”

A spokesman for the Oscars said they don’t condone violence….. but they’ll quite happily celebrate films that do!

1648470274617.jpeg

Todays rather stinky job.

Was just asked to update a few accessories. Customer had bought a load of second hand kitchen units, which is another story, as I recognised them. I’d worked in the house that they came out of!

I got to the house today, and the plumber is there, floorboards up, and he’s prodding away under the floor in a massive puddle of cloudy, smelly water.

Apparently the drain had collapsed, possibly years ago, and the foundations have been filling up with everything from the kitchen sink and dishwasher… luckily not the toilet upstairs.

The water was about a foot deep… according to his prodding stick, and they can’t see through the cloudy water to inspect the damage.

They’re now hoping the water is only there, and not spreading throughout the whole house. There are brick walls under the foundations, but my experience working in the same style of house… the water will be front to back of house, possibly submerging the main supply cable.

I quickly did what I needed to do and left!

Well managed to dodge covid for the past 2 years, tested positive today feel like crap, my partner blondie has it to, we are tucked up in bed.
I thought I’d dodged it too. Tested possitive 7 days ago.

wasn’t so good for a few days there. Stayed in bed for 2 days. Feel much better now but still testing possitive.

The weirdest symptom yet. I’d never heard of it before and on research a few have reported it, doctors think it’s psychological. All I’m the mind of patient.
well this patient definitely got it. Overly sensitive skin. No rash, or blistering or @ny marks, but all over body soreness. Like mild sunburn possibly. But all in my mind apparently.
saying that, covid doesn’t really exist so I must never have tested positive, I was never ill. Cool.

Most folks get the cold/flu like symptoms but there are a noticeable portion that get all sorts of strange problems and sadly some have them weeks or months afterwards.

I was lucky, just cough (still not quite gone 3 week after) and a bit of flu-like chill for the first couple of days, but one guy we deal with had hallucinations early in his case though maybe brought on by really lacking in sleep from it.

Blondie tested positive Monday myself Tuesday, we both have had the most weirdness sore throat ever really sore and painful like swallowing razors and your throat is about to close up , she has had a bad cough but I have had a bad fever, today just showered and feel a bit better.
Hope the fever has broken.

It really is rampant out there my department at work has six out of 13 people off with covid.
the good news is it’s loosing its teeth. It’s becoming a milder illness. Either due to the jabs or it’s becoming naturally less lethal. It’s not in the virus’s interest to kill. It likes to keep us alive long enough to spread around as many people as possible.
i think this is the last big infection rate before it all goes to more manageable levels.

i liked the idea of herd immunity 2 and a half years ago. It seems we are going that way now.

The chap I help(?) occasionally with his HNC has his latest design project - to convert a 4 digit Gray code output from a photo optic sensor on a motorised valve and display it as two digits on two 7 segment displays which represent its valve position. So for the fun of it I thought I would have a go at it too. The first task for me was to produce a Gray Code generator. Don't worry he will be having the fun and frustrations of doing it all himself - just like I had over three days. It uses a 555 clock, two 2 bit JK flipflops and 10 quad NANDS.

Attachments

• graycodegen.mp4
    17.3 MB
Last edited:
The chap I help(?) occasionally with his HNC has his latest design project - to convert a 4 digit Gray code output from a photo optic sensor on a motorised valve and display it as two digits on two 7 segment displays which represent its valve position. So for the fun of it I thought I would have a go at it too. The first task for me was to produce a Gray Code generator. Don't worry he will be having the fun and frustrations of doing it all himself - just like I had over three days. It uses a 555 clock, two 2 bit JK flipflops and 9 quad NANDS.

I remember using gray code when doing my HND. Wonder how many people know the reason for using it instead of normal binary coding? (Without googling it!).

I remember using gray code when doing my HND. Wonder how many people know the reason for using it instead of normal binary coding? (Without googling it!).
I learnt all about it when I hooked up an encoder to a plc and got some very unexpected result's
thankfully when researching it, I found a readymade conversion block for my plc.
win win!

Good man. What about an S/R flip flip though?
You mean L/R flip flops…. For the beach? Left and right….😄

So, did you all miss me?

Been up in aviemore for a week and the daughters have managed to swallow up all my mobile data, so I was limited to when I could access the internet. Just read through 20- odd notifications…

Weather was poor. Rain, sleet and snow. Diesel price was 179.9, and they run out on Thursday. Next nearest petrol station is Inverness.

A quick round up of photos…

Red squirrel on a bird table, taken through a telescope….
B3A5C892-3D25-4018-BD08-471E8B851018.jpeg

Cardboard cutouts in the sites “fun forest”…. Animals, cartoon characters… Star Wars characters to spot….
And this fella….

B794A786-6EA7-4BE6-8172-B75CCE058CFD.jpeg

Finally. Drove up the Cairngorms just to find some lying snow.

061937DB-3A90-44AE-980D-F1FBFAE114C0.jpeg

Further to my #812 - a little more progress. I only decode Gray code states 0 to 12 because the connector strips on the bottom veroboard only had 12 positions.

Next step is to adapt the design to show the Gray code encoded valve position state using one 8 x 5 led matrix and include the option of selecting one of four character sets.
5 x 7 0.7" (18mm) White Dot Matrix Display - Forge Europa - https://www.forge.co.uk/products/dot-matrix/5x7-0-7-18mm-white-dot-matrix-display

This design project is the latest one which has been set to the young electrician doing an hnc in EE. I thought I ought to do it in order to more helpfully be his mentor by understanding it practically myself.

Attachments

• IMG_0678.mp4
    44.1 MB
Last edited:

Reply to Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net