Discuss Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Electrical Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

We have this thread on TilersForums.com and it's just been restarted because the old thread had 20,000 replies and 500,000 views. And there were 700 pages. Started to lag a bit on slow connections.

I think we had a bash of this before, but I can't find the thread, so thought I'd start another one off.

If you have time in the mornings, come post in the thread before you head off to work, let us know what you've got on and what the weather is like in your area etc. Anything at all is fine. :)

Posts and likes get counted towards your total stats in this thread.

So GOOOD MORNING PEOPLE - WEATHER IS NICE TODAY IN STOKE. I'M THANKFUL IT'S FRIDAY, HAD A RUBBISH WEEK. THANK GOD IT'S OVER.

View attachment 53708

Last edited:
Well Lou, I hope you're feeling better.

My day today - we finished the job yesterday so today will be a drive back home. Got to stop off in Newport to drop some stuff off for calibration checks. Might go to our stores and tidy the van up, see how I feel. Then it's home to see my dog, oh, and the wife and kids. Hopefully a quiet day at home tomorrow.

Well, my trip home didn't go as expected. Heading up the M4, I crossed the new Severn bridge and saw a dark coloured Volvo parked at the side of the road where the tolls used to be. 'That's a copper' I said to myself. As I passed it pulled off, came along side me then passed, pulled in front and turned on its blue lights and the 'Follow Me' sign. Off to Magor services we went. There was a big area coned off and I was ushered in. Another officer came up to me and asked if I knew why I had been stopped. I had no idea, I was even below the speed limit. Apparently the van was showing as not insured. It's a van hired by the company I work for as my lease van had gone over it's 4 year lease and had gone back. Okay, start phoning around. Couldn't get hold of anyone for a copy of the current company insurance doc. Eventually, after about 3/4 hour I got hold of someone and the cert was emailed to me. Police were happy and off I went. Got to admit, the copper was very frindly. While I was stopped I saw at least 4 cars and a van being seized by the police, all having big 'seized for no insurance or tax' stickers stuck on them.

Well, my trip home didn't go as expected. Heading up the M4, I crossed the new Severn bridge and saw a dark coloured Volvo parked at the side of the road where the tolls used to be. 'That's a copper' I said to myself. As I passed it pulled off, came along side me then passed, pulled in front and turned on its blue lights and the 'Follow Me' sign. Off to Magor services we went. There was a big area coned off and I was ushered in. Another officer came up to me and asked if I knew why I had been stopped. I had no idea, I was even below the speed limit. Apparently the van was showing as not insured. It's a van hired by the company I work for as my lease van had gone over it's 4 year lease and had gone back. Okay, start phoning around. Couldn't get hold of anyone for a copy of the current company insurance doc. Eventually, after about 3/4 hour I got hold of someone and the cert was emailed to me. Police were happy and off I went. Got to admit, the copper was very frindly. While I was stopped I saw at least 4 cars and a van being seized by the police, all having big 'seized for no insurance or tax' stickers stuck on them.

Police are normally ok if you're ok with them. They're just people doing a job.

And yes it's amazing how many people they catch who don't have insurance, tax etc.

Their ANPR cameras make it so easy for them.

I think “shooting fish in a barrel” is the saying that comes to mind.

I got a private plate organised for my van, so inbetween me notifying dvla, and actually changing the plates on the van, I could have been stopped as well.

Their ANPR cameras make it so easy for them.

I think “shooting fish in a barrel” is the saying that comes to mind.

I got a private plate organised for my van, so inbetween me notifying dvla, and actually changing the plates on the van, I could have been stopped as well.

No doubt ANPR is a huge advantage, but still need experience, especially with so many cloned plates around.

Picture or it never happened. 🤔
IMG_3996.jpeg

Are those two conduits the same circuit?
That would have been daft - would have used a junction!! No, it’s a 16A radial with a FSU to drop a lighting outlet which is the second run up to the light. Once the guy has cleared out all the other cubicles it’ll just extend and repeat that pattern onwards, at which time I’ll just drop a 3way onto the feed at the top and along it goes…

I had nothing planned for this morning, following a couple of days working alongside another forum member. Thus, I decided last night to have a lazy lie-in, so I had a couple of drinks, a Chineses take-away with a friend, and I went to bed about 11pm...started to watch a Netflix series recommended by the aforementioned friend, and enjoyed it so much I binged 4 episodes. Realising how late/early it was, and my eyes were closing, I turned out the light and slept...for about 4 hours...woke and realised I had no need to get up so early, so I put the TV on and watched the next 2 episodes, after taking a big gulp of the glass of water on the bedside table. Instantly discovered that it was in fact the large GnT I had poured the night before, and thought "Oh well, not working today!" and finished it off...as a breakfast beverage it's mighty fine!
Later, I replaced a faulty tide-clock mechanism for a relative, courtesy of the good folks at New Generation Clocks - https://ngclocks.co.uk/ supplying the goods, followed by consuming the leftovers from the takeaway for my lunch. After that I fitted a new boot-liner to my car, kindly bought for me by the aforementioned friend, and it fits well and has a part that flips down to protect the bumper area. It's ideal for loading tool bags etc. and is waterproof and non-slip. It also means I have no excuse not to transport his two Labradors occasionally...
Tomorrow morning will be a lazy start, followed by a walk at Loch Lomond with my sister and brother-in-law and their Springer Spaniel (he pees a lot, so we'll be going in their car!) and lunch at The Village Rest in Luss village...if you live within 30 miles, go there and enjoy! Like so many places these days, they are "dog-friendly" and even have a printed doggy-menu...meaning a menu with doggy treats on it, not a menu where you can choose which dogs to eat...
I never remember to contribute to this thread actually on the morning...so it's more of a "what I did today" for me, so I will leap ahead to Sunday...
Early rise for a round of golf, drive to Helensburgh for lunch at The Sugarboat (go, you'll enjoy!) and back home to watch the final day of the Masters from Augusta.
Monday will see me a full day at my local branch of the Men's Shed for a mammoth ISITEE session (assuming they have gathered all the stuff together, if not, it'll be later in the week).
I have just put a leg of lamb in the oven...I'll check it in a couple of hours and feast while watching the last 2 episodes of the aforementioned Netflix series.
If you have read this far you must have a boring life!
I always like to hear of new stuff to make life easier. The aforementioned forum member put me onto an insulating putty which is great for many applications where silicone is a pain to deploy. I bought some, a different brand, but already have used it a couple of times to seal entry holes in brick, and in outside sockets. Those rubber caps to cover the screw holes in outside sockets never stay in place, but a dab of this stuff does the trick.
Amazon...I ordered something, it arrived, an hour later I was asked "How did you like the **** you ordered?*
I replied..."I ordered a set of 288 stainless steel grub-screws...some cone-pointed, some cup-pointed...so far I have actually used just one of them, so it's hard to rate them just yet, but my toilet-roll holder is still on the wall!

@littlespark
The Netflix series is called "Ripley". It's in 8 episodes and shot in black and white. The camera work is fabulous. I'm not one to rave about stuff on TV, but if you like a good murder story then go for it! Not my genre usually, but my pal nagged me to watch it, and I'm glad I did.

@littlespark
The Netflix series is called "Ripley". It's in 8 episodes and shot in black and white. The camera work is fabulous. I'm not one to rave about stuff on TV, but if you like a good murder story then go for it! Not my genre usually, but my pal nagged me to watch it, and I'm glad I did.
I was trying to get dan to watch this but he didn't fancy it. We just started the regime on sky Atlantic. I love Kate Winslet.

Today I’m hoping to get around to fitting another outside socket at the garage door, and plumb in an outside tap for use with a pressure washer.

I know, I know…. Get a professional in to do the plumbing…. But hey, what could possibly go wrong….

If it goes as well as my other home diy projects, I’ll be doing the same next weekend…. And the weekend after that…. And the weekend after that….

Today I’m changing the faulty 30nm motor in my Somfy garage door. For last month it only goes down under power and has to be manually wound to open it.
I’ve done this once before and the replacement failed after 2 years. This time I’m not using the £300 Somfy 30nm part, I’m using a compatible 100nm motor that was £100. We’ll see!
This task starts by drilling out 8 rivets holding the cover on - silly design for anything with a motor and bearings to grease inside.

Happy Sunday everyone! Lovely morning here today, blue skies!

There's a sniff of summer in the air

It's nice here. 2 lots of washing out already, 3rd just about to finish its spin. Hope it stays nice. I drive to Runcorn later and I prefer to drive in nice weather.

Today I’m changing the faulty 30nm motor in my Somfy garage door. For last month it only goes down under power and has to be manually wound to open it.
I’ve done this once before and the replacement failed after 2 years. This time I’m not using the £300 Somfy 30nm part, I’m using a compatible 100nm motor that was £100. We’ll see!
This task starts by drilling out 8 rivets holding the cover on - silly design for anything with a motor and bearings to grease inside.

I changed the start capacitor in mine a couple of years ago. A proper pain of a job, but been fine ever since. It had got so that it always took at least two or three attempts to start opening.

I changed the start capacitor in mine a couple of years ago. A proper pain of a job, but been fine ever since. It had got so that it always took at least two or three attempts to start opening.
Interesting. I suspected faulty limit switches in mine...it would either do nothing or run for about 3 seconds and then stop in one direction and run fine in the other direction.
Latterly the little cog light would come on which the manual said was motor failure.
It seems happy enough again with the new motor. If I have time I'll take a look at the old motor...

Reply to Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Electrical Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net