Discuss Guidance needed on moving sockets higher up in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

newhousehelp

Hi I moved to a new detached house which is ~90 yrs old. It has RCB switchboard outside (Kitchen, lights, smokealaram) but I am not sure when the house was re-wired last.

My problem is that I need to lay a new floor. However the current sockets, sits just above the old skirting board which is only 5cm in height. That means, if I put new floor I ll not be able to put proper modern skirting (15cm in height) unless I cut the skirting around the sockets.

Do I need to do the whole house re-wired if I need the existing sockets to be moved up to Modern standard (45cm or 450mm)?

Welcome to the forum :)

When admin is next online you may be assigned DIY status and the thread relocated, this won't effect any posts made already.

Re' darkwood

if the cables come down from above ( usually the downstairs sockets) it's a simple job for a spark to chip them out higher and fit the sockets. if the cables come from below, it's more complicated, but no problem for a qualified spark, as long as your installation is safe. you need to have the earthing and bonding checked and polssibly upgraded.

If the sockets are wired from below then it would mean getting the floor up near the sockets in question to see how much spare cable is under the floor, however it would be easier if they are wired from above as it would mean just opening up the wall to the height you want. Just one thing this isn't a job for a DIYer get a Sparkie in to give you a quote for the work, its not as easy as you might think, good luck

Reply to Guidance needed on moving sockets higher up in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net