• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss I trying to add a breaker & my main panel doesn't have a Disconnect, How to I add it without getting electrocuted? in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
not the same type of gear we have here, but we would carefully fit the breaker. tighten incoming terminal with a VDE insulated screwdriver, then, with the breaker OFF, connect the circuit. always be careful of touching live parts. if in doubt, consult an electrician. ( added to that. i don't know the regulations in Texas, as to whether you are allowed to do it. later on a couple of US members will be on to give better advice.

plugsandsparks

-
Arms
Esteemed
Typically you would go upstream and disconnect there, that type of board has not been designed to allow live working so hopefully someone has installed a disconnector upstream of the two thick black cables

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
Here is a pic of my panel.View attachment 52549

Thanks!
Is that panel with the picture inside your house, if so do you have a panel located outside where the meter is. That’s where your main should be and it should be 100 amps
Post automatically merged:

Is that panel with the picture inside your house, if so do you have a panel located outside where the meter is. That’s where your main should be and it should be 100 amps
trucker john let us know what you find after my advice, I’m confident that’s what’s going on

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Post automatically merged:

trucker john let us know what you find after my advice, I’m confident that’s what’s going on
@Megawatt,

Thanks for your response, The panel is outside of my house and right next to the city power meter. The panel in the pic has 2 2x50amp breakers and there isn't any other panels outside the house.

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
That panel was installed using the 6-disconnect rule, no more then 6 throws of the hand to disconnect power, and no main was required, just plain cheap but residential is as cheap as they can get away with, you cannot add any more breakers and be compliant with code, my advice is get the panel replaced with a main breaker model and consider a upgrade to 200A if planning to add major loads, load calculations should be done to determine if needed.

The 2020 NEC will require a outside disconnect on dwellings, although means nothing until it is adopted. :)

Reply to I trying to add a breaker & my main panel doesn't have a Disconnect, How to I add it without getting electrocuted? in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Select the ways in which you gain online business

• MyBuilder.com

• Federation of Master Builders

• CheckaTrade.com

• RatedPeople.com

• TrustaTrader.com

• Which? (TrustedTraders.Which.co.uk)

• MyJobQuote.co.uk

• Yell.com

• Google Paid Advertising

• Own Website with Natural Ranking (SEO'd website)

• Social Media (Facebook Twitter Instagram etc)

• Word of Mouth Only for me

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
Top Bottom