Discuss Instaltest 61557 Alphatek RCD- Contact Voltage and Fault Loop Resistance? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mec

Hi I just purchased one of these and downloaded the Instaltest 61557 manual.

In the RCD menu (No 10 setting of the Function Switch),
The manual says set the function switch to Uc,RL "Contact Voltage" or "Fault Loop Resistance and the initial menu" will be displayed, Uc or Loop message starts flashing.
This means that I should have the choice of two selections Uc or Loop, I'm supposed to be able to select either setting by pressing the SELECT Key First then the UP Down arrow keys before proceeding. My problem is I only seem to be stuck in the Voltage section and pressing the Select key takes me directly to the other setting in the Voltage menu.

Can anyone offer any advice how I switch between the two, am I missing something or do I have a faulty multi-tester?

Any HELP! would be appreciated.

Try the up or down arrow before you press select. When you hit select you're telling it the function it's displaying is the one you want

well i cant speak for the 61557...but with mine (metrix)...you would go into the contact voltage (Ub)....then use the arrows to select 25V or 50V.....my tester looks outwardly very similar to the 61557.....and to measure contact voltage with mine you have to be in RCD setting...

Try the up or down arrow before you press select. When you hit select you're telling it the function it's displaying is the one you want

Thank's for that I have done just that but noting happens until I press the select button in any case. So it's press select first only. The manual says that when I press the select button for the first time I should be able to select either Uc or Loop by pressing the UP Down Buttons. It seems to be this first choice that I cant or don't have access to. The multimeter seems to default to Voltage Uc and thats it. Each menu has a symbol "V" for the Voltage initial menu or Omega Ohm symbol Ω for Loop, but all I get is the V symbol and menu.

I'm sure someone hear has one that they use and can tell me if it's just me not understanding the menu system or if I might have a faulty menu on my meter.

I still could do with more input, any suggestions are appreciated.

I've got one mate, I press select when I'm at a function I want to change then I press the up/down button to change a value then select to exit. jobs a goodun

Edit...Sorry mine is the Metrel

Sounds like I may be misinterpreting the instructions. When you turn the dial to no 10 (Uc Rl) and at the first screen you see, can you select either a V or Ω sub menu to show in the right hand corner using the select button? Or do you simply go directly Nominal differential current status. The manual suggests that you first encounter the Uc RI selection, (Page 26). I appreciate your input and am glad you have one (Metrel 61557). Maybe if you have enough patience, I'll find an answer.

Cheers for now.

If you have any more advice It's very welcome.

Not sure if the change over from Metrel to Alphatek resulted in the disappearance of the Ω menu but will be checking with Metrel on Monday to find out, so will hopefully have their answer.

I have this sorted now. Thank's for those that helped with replies.

Earlier versions of the Metrel Installtest 61557 used the "initial setting" of the number 10 position on the dial to take a dual reading for both Contact Voltage and Fault Loop Resistance. After taking a dual reading each is shown on the screen, first Contact Voltage, then to obtain Fault Loop Resistance press DISPLAY button to see the Fault Loop Resistance reading. Later Versions of the meter allow you to take independent and separate reading for each Uc and RI by using a sub menu and selecting which reading you want. It seems the later versions were just more refined.

Edit........Early versions may be the Alphtek later may be Metrel (or I may be corrected?)

I have this sorted now. Thank's for those that helped with replies.

Earlier versions of the Metrel Installtest 61557 used the "initial setting" of the number 10 position on the dial to take a dual reading for both Contact Voltage and Fault Loop Resistance. After taking a dual reading each is shown on the screen, first Contact Voltage, then to obtain Fault Loop Resistance press DISPLAY button to see the Fault Loop Resistance reading. Later Versions of the meter allow you to take independent and separate reading for each Uc and RI by using a sub menu and selecting which reading you want. It seems the later versions were just more refined.

Edit........Early versions may be the Alphtek later may be Metrel (or I may be corrected?)

You are correct Alphatek was a UK company bought out by Metrel. However it's not always straight forward to decide whether you have an early model, because during the year after the absorption of Alphatek, Metrel were selling products branded with either or both company logos. Also, recently Metrel have started re-using the Alphatek branding for their budget series of test gear (Alphatek is coloured maroon rather than the usual Metrel blue) .

You are correct Alphatek was a UK company bought out by Metrel. However it's not always straight forward to decide whether you have an early model, because during the year after the absorption of Alphatek, Metrel were selling products branded with either or both company logos. Also, recently Metrel have started re-using the Alphatek branding for their budget series of test gear (Alphatek is coloured maroon rather than the usual Metrel blue) .

Many thank's for the info, it's interesting to know that Metrel use specific terminology in the grading of their current products. Also nice to know that the early Alphatek had the hallmarks of a "BRITISH MADE" product (barring the transitional period, of course).

Reply to Instaltest 61557 Alphatek RCD- Contact Voltage and Fault Loop Resistance? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net