Discuss LED GU10's blowing almost straight away in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Redturborocket

Basically I have around 40 down lighter's on one circuit.

i have just replaced 20 low voltage, with mains voltage, fire rated down lighters, and 12w LED bulbs.

but they seem to be blowing straight away! Within the first day 6 have blown, whilst tripping the MCB!

now what could be causing this?

i can't see it being this many faulty bulbs?

it can't be overloaded, as all lights now have either 9w or 12w LED bulbs.

could it be a wiring issue?

they are not the silly cheap eBay specials, they are the aluminium shelled, dimmable ones with 4 LED's each.

any advice would be much appreciated.

Silly question but have you removed the transformers ??

Other question is 12 W led lamps are quite powerful , are the fitting suitable for these lamps ??

I tend to use a one piece fitting with lamp combined like JCC led7 myself and have no problem,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought some aluminium shelled 4 LED B22 12W lamps to try out and I had a 90% failure rate, (not getting themf or customers)
So it does depend on where they are from and who makes them.
But also check that the specifications are not for 110V or something like that.

Thanks, I think i will send them all back and get something else.

Yes they are 12W (4X3W), and TBH they were rather bright, half the light would have been fine.

Im thinking of getting some around 6/7W and see how i get on, and if they start blowing, i will know there is defiantly something wrong with the circuit.

Although to be fair, no more have blown since yesterday afternoon, and the lights have been on pretty much constant.

I will check what the voltage is, but it was around 242V when i checked a good while ago.

And no not on a dimmer at the moment.

And yes i defiantly removed the transformers!

Reply to LED GU10's blowing almost straight away in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net