Discuss Multifunction Tester v Separates in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Emm Eff

I'm just about to start trading and need some test equipment, basically the full kit to sign off a house/commercial property. Would it be best to go for a multi function "all-in-one" solution to save on calibration fees each year, or is it best to buy separates so that if one fails I still have the functionality of all the others?

What's the preference for a small business?
Are you allowed to link to product pages?

I'd be interested in first-hand experience that you fellas may be able to provide. I almost bought a Fluke unit there, only to see a review of three units going pop just after the warranty period. So, I thought I'd ask here and see what advice is available.

Thanks in advance.

Some people like separates, but I would go for an MFT every time, you are doing multiple tests and just rotate a dial rather than gutting out a new meter and set of leads.
If you lost one separate then you still would not be able to test an installation so you are in a similar boat with either choice, if you have the money then get a back up MFT!

my choice was a megger1552 MFT and a megger BM continuity/IR tester and BM7 analogue for fault testing.

There is obviously a preference for MFT, so I'm glad I've asked as it gives me some re-assurance.

What's the failure rate of MFT testers? Are they reasonably reliable? I see the Megger unit has a 3 year warranty, which is good... but as a small business I wouldn't want to be waiting weeks for a RMA turnaround.

Some people like separates, but I would go for an MFT every time, you are doing multiple tests and just rotate a dial rather than gutting out a new meter and set of leads.
If you lost one separate then you still would not be able to test an installation so you are in a similar boat with either choice, if you have the money then get a back up MFT!

I would go along with that , although I use separates. The only thing I would add is that you can use separates for other than testing if a multi is away for repair.

I have never used an MFT, all my test gear is separates, better for faulting I have been told.?

You don't need a PSC or loop impedance tester for fault finding, really just continuity and IR which is only part of MFT. That is, I would be looking to go with MFT for all testing and a continuity/insulation tester for fault finding.

You don't need a PSC or loop impedance tester for fault finding, really just continuity and IR which is only part of MFT. That is, I would be looking to go with MFT for all testing and a continuity/insulation tester for fault finding.[/QUOTE

True, suppose with an MFT less items to get calibrated too.

I have both.
prefer using the separates tbh
the likes of eBay can be good for picking up separates as the preference for most is a mft these days.
i got a megger mit320 for 100 quid delivered that had been used once by the look of it.
on the money readings wise on the check box.
one thing I have noticed about megger leads is they seem short for plugging into my socket and see breakout plug
swapping the leads around seems to be the only option but it's a pita tbh

Also,you only have to have the "prescribed" test equipment calibrated,which means lots of us,have separates,of varying vintage,for fault finding.

If an instrument discovers an issue,maybe one others have struggled with,i am not vaguely concerned about its' vintage :yesnod:

Also,you only have to have the "prescribed" test equipment calibrated,which means lots of us,have separates,of varying vintage,for fault finding.

If an instrument discovers an issue,maybe one others have struggled with,i am not vaguely concerned about its' vintage :yesnod:

Good point about the vintage meters for faulting.

i got an analog megger insulation/continuity tester, small and lives in a toolbag, for fault finding and site work
and a calibrated MFT (old kewtech, but does the job - loop, insulation, continuity, rcd) , sits in his own little flightcase, for testing to be written on paperwork.

Reply to Multifunction Tester v Separates in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net