Discuss New Career Skills - anyone got feedback? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Its up to you of course headshrinker, but signed up with them and I found them lacking in support element when I tried to access it, and they do not come over as sensitive to your issues when you get stuck or complain! cheers

Hi there.
I completed the green domestic engineers course (plumbing biased) with NCS, which included an electrical element under Part P for plumbing related works.
This was a career change step for me, having been in an office bound job for 15 years, although I did have alot of property renovation experience.
NCS matched all my needs after much research into several training providers. I have to say that both the theory & practical elements of the course were very well taught. There is no doubt that some prior DIY experience, at least, will help a candidate, but one could get through without any experience. There were candidates on the same course as me that had no experience and got through. However, and probably needless to say, one does need to put in quite a bit of time outside of the training at centre, reading books and gaining some practical experience to enhance on the in centre experience. The NCS will point you in the right direction to get that practical experience in the real world.
The after training and business-to-business support that the NCS supply has also been very good and efficient, based on my experience.
I have been running my successful business now for 2 years and frequently call upon the NCS to assist with putting me in contact with other operatives when I need a hand. They will also supply candidates for paid and unpaid work experience with you if you are happy to assist in that way. I have used this service aswell and again found it very beneficial to all involved.
Overall I have found them very supportive when needed, before, during and after my training. One must remember that they are a very busy company with stretched resources at times so patience can be a key word at times.
If one is looking to them as training provider I would commend a visit to one of the three training centres - Doncaster, Watford or Southampton. Have a guided tour and chat to the trainers, staff and onsite students.
I fully appreciate such training programs are not for everyone and will not meet everyone’s needs, but there is plenty of information out in the real world and on the net to allow thorough research to make your informed judgment. If you are looking at spending £5 to £7k of your hard earned money then full research is a must.
Please note I am not a paid advocate of the company, just a satisfied customer.
Good luck and feel free to contact me back if anyone wants to chat over the training - Welcome to one of the best private property developers in Lincolnshire.

Sounds like you had an idyllic experience JSPM, not so for me.

The problem for people who are thinking of investing their hard earned money into training companies like for example New Career Skills, we never really know how good the experience will be until you have signed the dotted line....it is a gamble because we don't have access to the database at NCS, (any company can put glowing testimonials on their website), we really wouldn't know how many satisfied students/customers they have trained and of course on the flip side, how many unsatisfied. All I would add is that my experience with them has totally put me off fast track trade learning, I shall be signing up for the tried and trusted route through college.

Regards

Hi upbeat. I totally agree with you that fast track learning is not for everyone, and it was something that I was keen not to do. You could, in theory, complete the NCS course in 6 months, but experience and "on the job" training is a must aswell. Personally it took me about 20 months to complete the NCS course, and inbetween I was working within the industry which defiantely helps. There will always be bad experiences with companies, and like many services you don't know how the experience will pan out until you have been through it. I have found that often good and bad experiences with companies and service providers simply comes down to personalities, as the old saying goes "You can please all the people all the time." Certainly the large majroity of people I did the training with and reffered to the NCS have found the experience very positive, although not all have necessarily taken up the course/s Unfortunately this day and age people, me included at times, are much more prepared to voice complaints about products and services than they are to praise, but then constructive complaint can only be a positive if it means it can lead to improvement. Testimonials - yep I agree, but then I've yet to find a company who will post negative testimonials about themselves. I am sure if you asked the NCS or any other training provider for referances from trainees/candidates/students they will be able to put you in contact with them. As I stated originally one must do alot of their own research to make an informed decision. Good luck upbeat. If I can be of any advice or assistance please do contact me.

Hi everyone - I registered with NCS back in late Autumn last year and will be attending my first week of Electrical Practical training/assessment in a few weeks time having passed the three TMA's. Outside of some (very) basic D.I.Y., I don't have a massive anount of practical experience in Electrics having worked in retail pretty much all my life till I left work late last year.

Now, I don't want the inside info on any specifics - that'd be way out of order, but it would be helpful if someone could tell me what the content of week ONE is likely to be as the 'blurb' I was given by the Sales guy is a bit confusing. Essentially, I don't want to spend the last few weeks before Week One Practical re-studying ALL the wrong things.

The pack says we'll be working on
Health & Safety
Tools
Safe Isolation
Pre-Work Surveys
Unsafe Conditions
Bonding Requirements
SWA Lighting Installations and
First Aid

For those who have completed week one of this course, in your experience, is this pretty much accurate?

Have I left anything out? - Because the TMA's I've completed also touched on Wiring / Cabling - but this doesn't seem to be on the practical until Week Two...

Thanks in advance for any comments - and best of luck one and all in your careers.

KK

Hi KingKenny.
Although i did the plumbing side of things, I did find the schedule given to me for week one study and tma's align to the in centre practical and classroom work. good luck and enjoy.

Hi,

I would like to know does anyone got the electrician job after finished step 6 through the NCS? The seller guy put very big point on that as a great advantage so I just would like to know how practically is it real.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone - I registered with NCS back in late Autumn last year and will be attending my first week of Electrical Practical training/assessment in a few weeks time having passed the three TMA's. Outside of some (very) basic D.I.Y., I don't have a massive anount of practical experience in Electrics having worked in retail pretty much all my life till I left work late last year.

Now, I don't want the inside info on any specifics - that'd be way out of order, but it would be helpful if someone could tell me what the content of week ONE is likely to be as the 'blurb' I was given by the Sales guy is a bit confusing. Essentially, I don't want to spend the last few weeks before Week One Practical re-studying ALL the wrong things.

The pack says we'll be working on
Health & Safety
Tools
Safe Isolation
Pre-Work Surveys
Unsafe Conditions
Bonding Requirements
SWA Lighting Installations and
First Aid

For those who have completed week one of this course, in your experience, is this pretty much accurate?

Have I left anything out? - Because the TMA's I've completed also touched on Wiring / Cabling - but this doesn't seem to be on the practical until Week Two...

Thanks in advance for any comments - and best of luck one and all in your careers.

KK

hi kingkenny, My names stuart and i am attending the first practical session on the first week of july. How did you find your first practical session? Also where did u stay whilst you were attending that week? I have been given a few places near the centre and was wondering if you had any positive comments for accomodation!! Good luck for the rest of your course,

atb stuart.

The reason that system was scrapped was because it was unfair. From an employer point of view, if you know Distinction is the highest grade, why would you settle for less? You wouldn't, unless the person with a lower mark made up for it in other ways and what other way could they make up for it outside of job knowledge? Well if they had job knowledge would they not get a distinction anyway? It's a redundant system.

Your right, it is unfair, unfair to all those that excelled in the exam!!

This is typical of the whole education systems in the UK these day's, seems that everything is being based to the lowest standard, instead of excellence!!

Funny really, the credit/distinction system was the norm/standard of grading exam results, certainly from the very first time i ever sat an exam. ....Now deemed unfair, so as to appease those that just manage to scrape through!! ....absolute bulls**t!! It's unfair to the student that excelled, and unfair to the employer too, both are being ignored in favour for the low achiever!!

Written/theory exam results are nothing whatsoever to do with practical achievement, they are completely separated (unless based on a practical element) and therefore should not influence one way or the other.

I completed the NCS electrical course last year (Chandlers Ford). All in all a brilliant experience. In my opinion, I would say its not a course you can go into completely blind, some basic experience is a must. I had done a complete selfbuild beforehand so I had a good idea beforehand what it was going to be about.
Yes, its not cheap but you get what you pay for. I found the facilities were excellent and the tutors very knowledgeable and helpful. At the end of the day, if you think you're not getting it, you've got to tell them - they can't read your mind. In my experience they will spend the time with you to make sure you understand, its in their best interests to make sure you pass the course. Even though the costs are significant, they won't be handing it to you on a plate. you have to work hard, put in the study time (lots of it) and demonstrate your understanding.
I also did the 2392 Inspection and testing course then the PV course - it was always my intention to get into renewables and the electrical course was the foundation for that. Last week I gained my MCS accreditation and am now well into setting up my PV installation company.
I would recommend NCS to anyone, I wouldn't pretend for a moment I now know everything I need to, but they do provide you with an excellent foundation to get you started.They will also happily provide you with any electrical advice you need even after completing the course. This forum is also excellent for any advice you might need as there are plenty of people ready to help you.

very good and honest break down of the course, I'm a carpenter by trade and want to broaden my employment qualities so have taken on this course hoping to gain a good grounding to electrics. I have done some work with an electrician who i know so have some basic knowledge, can i ask how you found the pv course as i have signed up for that as well but speaking to alot of electricians they are now telling me its a waste of time because the market is very slow with pv panels! Also does any one know from the qualifications you gain from this course would you be able to advance them with perhaps an NVQ3 as i would like to work in the commercial side of electrics!

Hi all, has anyone taken on this course from the welsh side of the bridge? I've just had this buzzing around my head where i was told that they may be able to sort out work experience for students. I was told that it could be with previous students that have completed the course and have now set there own business up or it would be with a local company but as i'm reading further into this forum how many ppl now have a successful business that have done this course?

Also as i've already mentioned in reply to another thread has any one gone on to advance their qualifications since completing this course? I know of a few ppl who are working as a competent person that have done 17th edition short course, 2391 inspection and testing and one or two other short courses and seem to gain employment with no problems, but i'm thinking does this then limit where they can work regarding domestic, commercial or industrial as i would like to give my self the best employment oppurtunities of what jobs i would be able to apply for.

Hi Guys
I am booked to go on the 2nd practical week with NCS, but it's not for another month, can anyone who has completed week 3 tell me what the week 3 theory and tma's involve so that I can do some study in the meantime?
Many thanks.

Hi Guys
I am booked to go on the 2nd practical week with NCS, but it's not for another month, can anyone who has completed week 3 tell me what the week 3 theory and tma's involve so that I can do some study in the meantime?
Many thanks.

Do you not already have the work for week 3 in your folder ? if i recalls you do your 2382 and 2377 on that week, so regulations and testing and inspection. Good opportunity to tab up your books and understand where to look for regs and information.

No - they give you the study pack for each week, and any additional books we need, at the end of the completed practical week. So I only have up to week 2. Are there any tma's?

No - they give you the study pack for each week, and any additional books we need, at the end of the completed practical week. So I only have up to week 2. Are there any tma's?

Hmm changed since I did it then. We were given everything up front, or at least we were supposed to. Some people on the course had 4 tma's in week 3, my pack only had 3 tma's in and I never receieved anything for week 5 until I turned up on the day, yet everyone else had there week 5 stuff and I spent my first night doing 3 TMA's to catch up.

The course work focused on the sequence of testing required, test instruments and filling out the test certificate.
TMA 3.1 looked at safe isolation, bonding, identifying wiring and initial visual inspections.
TMA 3.2 looked at regulations. EWR, IEE, BS 7671, CDM, HSG 141,
TMA 3.3 looked at Test sequence, test equipment, expected test outcomes and common faults, identifying 3 phase

That's brilliant thanks
I have been looking at job opportunities once I qualify with ncs and they all seem to require a jib card, do you know if they would give me one and if not what I would need to do to get one?

Reply to New Career Skills - anyone got feedback? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net