Discuss NEWS!: - If you visit the forum on your mobile phone, read this! in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Reaction score
If you visit the forum on your mobile phone you'll be happy to hear this news.

For some time we've used software for Apple iPhones, iPods, and iPads, called Tapatalk. It's good, don't get me wrong, but it's not ours, and it costs you (we don't get a penny of that by the way).

So we've, I say we've I mean I've, just upgraded the forum and if you visit it on your Apple, Android (not got one but I think it include Android) or Blackberry (other than the old BB which apparently still works but not that well - again I haven't got one) then you will be automatically sent to a mobile version of the forum. So a bit like Facebook does when not using the App and just your normal mobile browser.

That's the first good news.

The second, we're having an App built for Apple and Android-based devices (not just phones but tablets too) and it'll be ready very soon. You're the first forum that's having it, as you're the guys that use your mobiles the most on our forums (sort of makes sense as you'll all be into your gadgets no doubt) with the tiling forum being not far behind (and I think that's just me bugging them for years to get decent phones and computers that's caused that - they're actually not that clued up on the phone stuff it seems).

The app will be free, but in a couple of years time it'll have some ads on there (I'm not interested in monetizing it yet - I want it to be used first of all and ads clutter small screens). But it'll not cost you a penny. And it'll be an app on it's own so you will only login to this forum, unlike TapaTalk which enables you to access many.

Ahhh, nice small phones but yeah, very old. I have the silver limited edition after the older V3968 which is what their launch name was. :) A collectors now lol

Time to stick a suggestion in the company suggestion box! - New phones for faster productivity at work!

I'll take a look into that. Pretty sure we can squeeze one in the menu thing with the squares. There's a couple of spaces left there.

Where do you want feedback for this Dan, is here good?

First observations are (using Safari on iPhone) I don't get a "menu list" (New Posts, PM etc at the top).
The Tweets diaglog is constantly on display on the left of the screen (slightly obscuring the display text for the Electrical Forum Heading) ... could the display text be moved right a bit?

Edit: first one same as above post^^^^ by adslev.

I can`t comment as either me or the phone does not do mobile internet :D in all fairness its probably me :) nice to have when i do work it out though

First observations are (using Safari on iPhone) I don't get a "menu list" (New Posts, PM etc at the top).
The Tweets diaglog is constantly on display on the left of the screen (slightly obscuring the display text for the Electrical Forum Heading) ... could the display text be moved right a bit?

Sure here is fine mate.

Menu is the square next to the search button (also a square) - it'll take you to a new page with Messages, Albums, Notifications, and a number of other common features.
And the tweets tab is a feature that's conflicting a bit so I'll see how to get around that but I do agree it gets in the way. If nobody uses it (doesn't look like they do much) I might just remove that altogether as it's not really took off the way I expected to be honest.

Keep the feedback coming.

An no worries Phil. You'll soon only be able to get 'modern' phones so you'll have to. lol :D

Looks good have to agree with above though no new post tab which is where I usually scroll though the posts

Well I've sent my first mobile forum version post......lovely jubbly.:cool:

Loading the full site on a phone can be a bit much at times.......the racing snake version rocks!!

Probably the other button (hyperlink for a quick/dirty solution) we would miss on the first page is "Mark Forums Read" ... not so useful for mods, but used by most others I'd guess.

:confused: Isnt working on my Blackberry was fine before change I'm just getting a blank screen now :confused:

That'll be the problem with the older blackberry's that I kept hearing about. They render the screen differently and the problem is being worked on. I just hoped we had no users that would get the problem.

As a work-around, type the following URL into your browser and save it as a bookmark should it keep happening:-
Code:
http://www.electriciansforums.net/index.php?styleid=16

I hope that's okay for now mate. I'll get onto the fix asap for you. You'll not be one of the users of the new app we're getting and I still want you guys to use the forum on your mobiles so send me a PM in a couple of weeks if you haven't heard from me regarding the fix. It'd be good if everybody had a nice interface to browse on.

Reply to NEWS!: - If you visit the forum on your mobile phone, read this! in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net