Discuss Plastic compression glands for T&E into metal CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I posted a link to that BRE test a few weeks back in another post. I posted it in response to a post by Westward saying that he thought it unlikely that plastic wall plugs would melt in a masonry wall. I was of the same opinion too until I read through the report. OK, it deals with cable supports specifically, but the same melting could possibly occur elsewhere.

I agree partly with SBO that a consumer unit is not going to fall off a wall in any hurry, and that in all probability for a CU to fall off the fire would have to be pretty bloody intense.

But, a lot of folk on here harp on about good workmanship, and when I posted a few weeks back that was why.

If I go back three years ago I would have never thought of installing metal fire clips like I do now. And I am starting to think the same way in relation to my use of plastic wall plugs. Good workmanship and practise evolves and changes..

Well since you mention it I have been putting intumescent sealer all over the back of MCB's to ensure that a fire is well contained within the consumer unit. I am currently working on a miniature fire suppression system to discharge FE227 into the consumer unit when the internal fire alarm system in the unit detects smoke. I am also considering fire shutters to the front face, belt and braces and all that. And before someone thinks I am cutting corners, a smoke extract system has been installed within the consumer unit.

I use the Aico Nano range.... Interlinked and only 35mm diameter! But fiddly to terminate though... ;)

Well since you mention it I have been putting intumescent sealer all over the back of MCB's to ensure that a fire is well contained within the consumer unit. I am currently working on a miniature fire suppression system to discharge FE227 into the consumer unit when the internal fire alarm system in the unit detects smoke. I am also considering fire shutters to the front face, belt and braces and all that. And before someone thinks I am cutting corners, a smoke extract system has been installed within the consumer unit.
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

If I go back three years ago I would have never thought of installing metal fire clips like I do now. And I am starting to think the same way in relation to my use of plastic wall plugs. Good workmanship and practise evolves and changes..

I was watching one of those Elex show vids, where the subject of cables and clipping was discussed, specifically in a domestic environment. For example, someone in the audience asked how you could achieve this in a rewire in a domestic property, say where the floor above was a tiled floor in a bathroom., preventing access to clip the new cables.
Elecsa were of the opinion, that the 30min fire protection afforded by the plasterboard, was sufficient to comply with 521.11.201.
Napit disagreed, and said in the spirit of the reg, once the 30min has elapsed, the non clipped cables would be of a danger to the fire fighters.

Work that one out! Sorry Madame, it's either ceiling down or your new floor up.

I was watching one of those Elex show vids, where the subject of cables and clipping was discussed, specifically in a domestic environment. For example, someone in the audience asked how you could achieve this in a rewire in a domestic property, say where the floor above was a tiled floor in a bathroom., preventing access to clip the new cables.
Elecsa were of the opinion, that the 30min fire protection afforded by the plasterboard, was sufficient to comply with 521.11.201.
Napit disagreed, and said in the spirit of the reg, once the 30min has elapsed, the non clipped cables would be of a danger to the fire fighters.

Work that one out! Sorry Madame, it's either ceiling down or your new floor up.

It is interesting that even the schemes can't agree. The regulations or guidance notes should spell things out more clearly.

The less floors you have to lift the better. I wouldn't lift floors to fire clip escape routes and take the same view as elecsa that the ceiling provides enough protection but I do see napits point of view...I don't think the ceiling utterly fails after 30 minutes...therefore surely cable would be supported by the remaining ceiling for much longer...

The requirement is for the enclosure to be flame retardant, no mention is made of the cable entries. If you use stuffing glands with T&E you should really replace the rubber inserts with those that have oval holes through them. T&Es on ring finals can pass through separate entries. Wouldn't be worrying about using plastic wall plugs.
Just did an EICR on a 3 phase DB that had feeds from the board all exit together through a bush and lockring, go to a rotary isolator mounted to the trunking next to the board and then the loads from the rotary’s passed through a different bush in the board and to a seperate bit of containment. The cables are 4mm or 6mm twin and earths supplying 4 32A SP commando sockets would this be an issue with eddys?

Just did an EICR on a 3 phase DB that had feeds from the board all exit together through a bush and lockring, go to a rotary isolator mounted to the trunking next to the board and then the loads from the rotary’s passed through a different bush in the board and to a seperate bit of containment. The cables are 4mm or 6mm twin and earths supplying 4 32A SP commando sockets would this be an issue with eddys?
Not if the L and N of the same circuit run through the same bush…. Which they would, if all t&e.

Reply to Plastic compression glands for T&E into metal CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net