Discuss Pop-up thing keeps popping up?! - Why didn't you bloody tell me about it?!?! in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Reaction score
So I got told on the plumbers forum that there was an issue with some pop up popping up and making people consent to stuff.

Now the pop-up, is genuine.

It's made by Google, and is for Google tracking cookies. So no blocker will block it. Well, most blockers wont block it.

I kept seeing it pop up on each page reload. So did @Lou (my wife, so on the same internet connection). But we tend to have our browser settings set weird so that our websites load fresh on each page load. So that when I make changes, we can test them. Else I have to keep erasing my cookies and site files in the browser and reload the pages again - which means logging in again to the areas where I made said changes.

So it takes ages that way.

So we have this pop up popping up, I'm visiting all our forums, nobody is mentioning it.

ElectriciansForums.net has around the same amount of traffic of all my other forums put together. It's big and busy for sure. (Not all our forums are trade-related and I don't want to mix them all up so wont disclose 'em, sorry)

And then earlier, probably after a couple of weeks, somebody has mentioned the pop up on our plumbers forum.

I checked the settings and it's all screwed up! - So it IS ACTUALLY POPPING UP - It's not just bloody me!!!!!!

So I have fixed it.

But not just that - WHY ON EARTH DIDN'T ANYBODY ON HERE TELL ME ABOUT IT?!?!?!?! lol!!!!

TL;DR
READ THE DAMN THREAD MAN! - YOU TIME USER!
Since this evening, on my laptop, from the home page, I now get half a screen large ad, for example several times "easyfixdomestic", a website for expensive emergency electrical repairs etc.

Actually browsing said site, I started to wonder is it for real, it is as if the author doesn't really understand to much about electrics, and includes for example odd phrases such as in contact page:
" From banking and insurance to wealth the management and securitie on distribution financial "

Is this something the forum has done, or google messing with my browser?

Since this evening, on my laptop, from the home page, I now get half a screen large ad, for example several times "easyfixdomestic", a website for expensive emergency electrical repairs etc.

Actually browsing said site, I started to wonder is it for real, it is as if the author doesn't really understand to much about electrics, and includes for example odd phrases such as in contact page:
" From banking and insurance to wealth the management and securitie on distribution financial "

Is this something the forum has done, or google messing with my browser?

The forum, as with all websites, now uses the data advertisers already have on you.

So we get this right.

WE HAVE NOT SOLD A SINGLE NAME, EMAIL, DETAIL etc

This is companies that advertise via AdWords, who collect data from there (and facebook etc) and have a profile on you already.

Then you visit here, and THOSE COMPANIES ads, follow you.

Just so it's clear. We don't even use Facebook / Google / Twitter logins anymore via the forum so that they DO NOT get your data from this website.

This is for when they already have it, your "Personalised Ads" follow you.

So that's why you see the ads you see on this forum.
I haven't see this pop up.

Google syndication, adsense and tagmanager are blocked - maybe one of those are responsible?

Yup.

You're doing the right thing. It's both. And more.
I keeped getting dancing naked lady's, but I don't mind, so don't blocked yet. Lol.

That'll be you visiting such sites then coming here, and bringing THOSE ads with you lol

I see ads related to 'How to help the wife with the shopping' and suchlike, obviously. Eh @Lou lol

Adblock Plus seems to tame the worst excesses, so not seen any pop up. Keep forgetting I don't have that installed on Chrome and struggle to wade through the Google Ads - I've never felt the need to click on one though, as it's often trying to sell me something I've just bought!

I know less about computers than I do electricity...I use the site everyday on my iPhone and get no ads or pop ups??...

On my screen now I have 'Become an Aico installer' almost permanently showing at the bottom. I also have 'One Installation ' or something like that which keeps appearing at the top of the screen. Very annoying.

Haven't seen the one you mentioned though.

Using a Samsung Android 9 phone.

On my screen now I have 'Become an Aico installer' almost permanently showing at the bottom. I also have 'One Installation ' or something like that which keeps appearing at the top of the screen. Very annoying.

Haven't seen the one you mentioned though.

Using a Samsung Android 9 phone.
I had the aico one...clicked on it and it’s gone now...I also have an ad for ck drivers but it’s in the middle of a post and not even noticeable really?

This is my phone screen at the minute. I've got two lines of text and the rest is adverts!!!!!!!!!!

Screenshot_20200919-100735_Chrome.jpg

I had the aico one...clicked on it and it’s gone now...I also have an ad for ck drivers but it’s in the middle of a post and not even noticeable really?

The Aico ad was very similar to the one offering a one off option to support the forum - figured it was a sponsor offer, so also clicked on it and haven't seen it since.
[automerge]1600523757[/automerge]
This is my phone screen at the minute. I've got two lines of text and the rest is adverts!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 60930

I don't use the forum much from my phone, but never see this sort of advertising. I use Samsung's browser and perhaps once changed advertising options, but can't say for certain.

Edit: Just checked and it seems I have installed Adblock Plus for Samsung.

Last edited:
Ok, just installed Adblock Plus and that seems to fix my problem, now I don't waste half my screen with useless ads. Though I can't recall if Dan was happy with us all using these ad blocking tools or not.

Adblock Plus allows you to whitelist sites. I think there's also an option to allow basic advertising, which should permit forum sponsors without all the really intrusive stuff.

Reply to Pop-up thing keeps popping up?! - Why didn't you bloody tell me about it?!?! in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net