Discuss Potential slash of Feed-In Tariff (FITs) - What does this mean for MCS installers? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: Potential slash of Feed-In Tariff (FITs) - What does this mean for MCS installers

Been to a NIC training centre yesterday and was speaking to someone there about this, he said he expects the money to be slashed for larger systems and cut by 3p or 4p for ones aimed at domestic. He said the money issue is a bit of a worry but by cutting it for large systems and businesses it will continue to be maintained for few more years.

But his main other reasons were the fact that we are struggling for power as it is, dont know about other area's but the east midland DNO are putting 80A fuses in any new houses and have been doing so for over a year. If the country doesnt do something now then there will be a lot worse problem in 10-20yrs where the government could end up paying for all new energy works just to keep homes powered.

There has only been 68000 installations according to their database and i assume thats not all domestic. He said to him thats not alot and without getting it into houses and it being the norm so to speak then the industry wont survive or become cheap and good enough for people to do it off their own backs in 5 years time etc.

He pretty much said same thing with gas and how its being distributed at its limit but heat pumps are for another time.

Just thought share that from a view of an NIC MCS guy, not a spokesperson or rep etc.

Re: Potential slash of Feed-In Tariff (FITs) - What does this mean for MCS installers

The problem is though PV is not a viable option for future energy sources in the UK unless we are going to accept a lifestyle that drastically reduces it's dependencies and how we use our Electricity.

I don't have the figures to hand but I would be amazed if I was wrong, but the highest demand in the UK for electricity I would imagine is in the winter. When we have short cold days and longer colder nights. PV is not going to be very productive during this period and I would be amazed that it would cover 10% of the demand required, even if every house in the UK had it installed.

I agree green energy is vital, but tidal or wind is surely more sensible, winter, summer, spring or Autumn day or night we have the tidal system and surely developing this would be more cost efficient. Wind though not as reliant as tides must surely again be more reliant than PV.

Unfortunately the last government made promise that really we can not keep, not at the moment. The only sensible alternative solution is nuclear power or a derivative of it. We had a major Earthquake in Japan that seriously compromised a nuclear power plant and the outcome was not the doom laden scenario the tree huggers would want us to imagine.

Every source of energy as risks or shortcomings, but some have more advantages than others.

I agree with you but the point is if we dont do something now we will run out sooner rather than later, we cant sit around and wait until the technology is good enough. Lets face it, none of the technologies available now are good enough.

Like you say wind is unreliable and if not alot of wind then very expensive to the energy returned. water cost a fortune and lots of time to put in place, install, etc. not alot of sun for PV all year round. heat pumps are not unreliable (from what i heard) and expensive at the moment. solar hot water doesnt work in winter. Biomass is too big for most buildings at the moment.

Next years budget for green energy is £360m, have to see where it ends up going.

FYI This weeks moneysavingexpert newsletter has this:-

Update: 18 Oct 2011. Free solar subsidy could be slashed

We've heard strong industry rumours the rules may soon change, so if you want solar (free or bought), go quick.

The Government may be due to cut feed-in payments by 50%+ for those installing after 31 March '12, though changes are unlikely to affect those already signed up. If you want to take advantage, hurry, as it takes time to sort and could spell curtains for free solar.

Winter high pressure = very dry, no wind & very cold.

The only constant sources appear to have gravity involved [tide/hydro & deep geo-thermal].

Reply to Potential slash of Feed-In Tariff (FITs) - What does this mean for MCS installers? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net