Discuss PVC capping and oval tube problems in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LlandrilloSpark

Has anybody else had any problems installing PVC oval tube or capping?
I did a small kitchen rewire a while ago and used PVC oval tubing, the problem I had was basically the 2.5mm would not fit through it, it just kept getting stuck and I was using the correct size!
Then this week I'm doing a small shop so I decided to use PVC capping, it worked fine on the cable drops as I used a wall chaser to about 28mm then the capping pushes in nice and tight
The problem came when I needed to cap the cables running around the safe zone where ceiling meets the wall, the building is lime mortar and I couldn't get the capping nails to hold anywhere, I even struggled to fix the cables as I had to result to the large headed galv clout nails either side, nightmare.
Unfortunatly I just had to leave them exposed, they are at 20mm deep I'm just praying the plasterers go easy today.
I would of prefered to run everything in the ceiling but it's an old lathe plaster ceiling, very unstable and the client wanted minimum damage to it

Has anybody else had any problems installing PVC oval tube or capping?
I did a small kitchen rewire a while ago and used PVC oval tubing, the problem I had was basically the 2.5mm would not fit through it, it just kept getting stuck and I was using the correct size!
Then this week I'm doing a small shop so I decided to use PVC capping, it worked fine on the cable drops as I used a wall chaser to about 28mm then the capping pushes in nice and tight
The problem came when I needed to cap the cables running around the safe zone where ceiling meets the wall, the building is lime mortar and I couldn't get the capping nails to hold anywhere, I even struggled to fix the cables as I had to result to the large headed galv clout nails either side, nightmare.
Unfortunatly I just had to leave them exposed, they are at 20mm deep I'm just praying the plasterers go easy today.
I would of prefered to run everything in the ceiling but it's an old lathe plaster ceiling, very unstable and the client wanted minimum damage to it

For your horizontal runs you could try using a larger size capping and screw it down instead of using nails, also this gives you the option of clipping the cables to the brickwork and then putting the larger size capping over it.

Why so much chasing? the capping height is designed for plaster depth and be careful the customer dosen't take over your job just agree to be as neat as possible but explain damage is unavoidable this way your not wasting time and effort trying to please their every whim as everybody prefers minimum damage but its not always practical or cost effective.

good argument for doing your own filling in and then let plasterer skim

Lime mortar is notoriously bad for this. I find if you put your nail right on the edge of the mortar and a brick you get a better fix. You could also use plugs and screws, and someone posted some 'nail plugs' on here recently. If all else fails, you can mix up some plaster, slap it on thick, wait till it's nearly gone off and then squash the capping into it.

Nail plugs was my thread - either those, or drill 8mm holes and stick some modelling dowel rod in there and bang the nails in to them :)

I tend to bang the nails into a block of wood first, to get the washers to travel up towards the head, pull them out then use them. They don't break the capping, the capping doesn't bounce around for the first few hits and generally go in fine. If it's really crusty walls, I use roofers ali nails

I don't get on with capping nails at all - I prefer clout nails.
I've heard of people using t&e clips instead, but not actually tried them myself.

Reply to PVC capping and oval tube problems in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net