Discuss Ring Pro Transformer in CU in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

nathelec

DIY
Reaction score
I currently have a Ring transformer wired up and working. The original door bell had its on transformer that was next to the CU and the wiring was used from that for the Ring setup. I would really like to get rid of the additional box, as its in my hallway and i already have the CU, house alarm and doorbell transformer on the wall.

Looking at the CU, all space for the visible trip switches are taken up, but when removing the cover i can see that there is space on the DIN rail on the right hand side of the CU. This isn't visible once the cover is on.

I have a few questions...

1. Is it safe to have the transformer within the CU?
2. Is it likely the transformer will fit once the cover is back on?

I think this is a fairly simple fix. The wires need pulling back into the CU, extending and the transformer attached to the rail. I dont mind paying someone qualified to do it (despite the fact i think i could do it myself) but i dont really want to call someone out to find that a. they wont or are not allowed to do it and b. it probably wont fit anyway

The CU looks a lot like the one in this link, just with far more wires inside

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNe1xHlI5i4

you need the dimensions of the transformer. you have a max depth of 50mm. the Tx. will take up 2 slots, which it appears that you have.

It sounds like although there is spare space in the DIN rail, there may not be a space in the front cover? Are there no removable blanking plates?

It sounds like although there is spare space in the DIN rail, there may not be a space in the front cover? Are there no removable blanking plates?
multitool witha bi-metal blade soon sort that out. easy peasy if it's a polycarb box.

Theres space on the rail but there are no blanking plates or slots left. The CU is a lot like this...

https://www.screwflix..com/p/britis...d-high-integrity-dual-rcd-consumer-unit/2920g

Given there is no trip switch on the transformer i wasnt sure whether there would be enough space to fit it on the rail and still get the cover on, as it sticks out a little on the right compare to where the trip switches would fit

The cover is not intended for modification.

i fitted a ring pro din rail transformer last week in a new metal cu.(there was room ) however it's worth remembering that without care you could end up with bell wire inside the cu. not sure whether bell wire is insulated to 230 volts ,but sure you get my meaning

i fitted a ring pro din rail transformer last week in a new metal cu.(there was room ) however it's worth remembering that without care you could end up with bell wire inside the cu. not sure whether bell wire is insulated to 230 volts ,but sure you get my meaning
It's only rated for 50V.

Bell wire should not be brought into a CU.

That's a ridiculous suggestion to make to a DIYer
OP did say that he was prepared to get a pro. in to do it. having said that.although my post was meant to be more in jest, i realise that perhaps it was inappropriate. @OP please ignore the post referred to. :p

Reply to Ring Pro Transformer in CU in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock