Discuss Solar wired into CU breaker, why should it use the solar power & not pull from the grid? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bignose2

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
Really just for info. not a problem or anything.
(to be honest also wanting to be sure it is taking from solar as much as possible & can you be sure of that?)
I assume the new solar meter is actually what is being drawn from the array so is an accurate indications of that.

Grid tied 4kw solar, no batteries. Just been installed.

Sorry for perhaps a stilly question & the installation may have something I don't know about but I cannot work out how/why the house will use power from the Solar generations first as opposed to using the grid or a bit of both.

As far as I can see the inverter connects via isolators & the generation meter & simply into the CU on its own MCB (rcbo)
Why when I turn a kettle on should it use that power instead of drawing from the DNO meter & grid.

Thanks I/A

Not at installer myself, but what I had explained to me… several years ago now.

The inverter measures the voltage coming from the mains and outputs the solar generated a couple of volts higher.

This pushes against the mains voltage and the house devices use the higher PV generated by the sun.
Any PV generated is measured by the meter only coming from the inverter… not going up to the inverter

Any excess PV electricity basically leaks out to the “grid”

As LS says, under normal conditions the Solar inverter will seek to dump its power anywhere, it does this by raising the voltage. If you have the kettle on Solar gets first dibs as it is competing with the grid for your kettle load. As the grid voltage is largely a sitting duck wrt Voltage, its easy for the Solar to win the battle as to who supplies the kettle.
however sometimes the solar can only provide a portion of the power at which point the grid strolls up fills the gap.
its all magic really, but rest assured if your inverter is showing "generating" or its operation light is Green (depends on make of inverter as to what is normal operation) then your solar will be maxxing out saving the planet.
cheers
P&S

Reply to Solar wired into CU breaker, why should it use the solar power & not pull from the grid? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock