Discuss Static caravan power supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cubpaws

DIY
Reaction score
I have a holiday caravan which I upgraded to a residential standard lodge. The old static had a 16 Amp supply which was OK as the oven and hob were gas though the supply would still trip if the kettle was on with the microwave but no big deal. The park owner upgraded the cable from the meter and change the breaker to 30 amps for the new lodge and that was sufficient to run the standard fit electric oven, dishwasher, washing machine, integrated microwave etc without issues however after a distribution system “upgrade” I’ve been downgraded back to 16 amps. Park owner is now insisting the 30 amp draw is overloading the distribution system and suggesting caravan and lodge owners use low wattage kettles and toasters and make do. Despite being told because I was buying a lodge the supply would be “upgraded” they now claim the upgrade was for an armoured cable to replace the artic yellow original which runs in conduit underground which I think is disingenuous to say the least beside the fact it was the site electrician who replaced the breaker. Any thoughts ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, the good old "he said" situation where nothing's in writing.
It's is quite likely that if there's a lot of vans/lodges that the main supply just isn't adequate for them all to have a 32A supply - it might not even be adequate for a 16A supply.
You can get priority relays that will automatically turn off circuits based on loading - though it'll need some re-wiring to split things up. That would at least stop the supply tripping.

Does the lodge have electric or gas heating and cooking?
If gas, then what is the extra load over what was being used in the static caravan?

Will be the same number of appliances… kettle, microwave, tv, etc etc. Maybe another bedroom?

Sorry. I read now there’s a washing machine and dryer. Makes a big difference.

Was the lodge bought through the site? They should know the consumption of one of these units and supply the appropriate connection.
Take it along the lines of “manufacturers instructions” There will be a handbook with the lodge that will give supply sizes.

I’ve had many caravan owners gripe about 16A supply tripping out, and on investigation, they have lpg central heating, but also anything up to 8 plug in heaters.
“We don’t use them!”

Then why the hell are they here in your caravan??

Ah, the good old "he said" situation where nothing's in writing.
It's is quite likely that if there's a lot of vans/lodges that the main supply just isn't adequate for them all to have a 32A supply - it might not even be adequate for a 16A supply.
You can get priority relays that will automatically turn off circuits based on loading - though it'll need some re-wiring to split things up. That would at least stop the supply tripping.
I have an email from the site owner saying the supply was being “upgraded@ which they now claim only meant the replacement of the arctic 16 amp cable with an armoured one, but can’t explain why the 15 amp breaker was replaced with a 32 amp one apart from a generic claim that some owners have themselves replaced the correctly rated breaker with one with a higher rating. Having checked my meter, despite being told all breakers have been checked and where incorrect replaced with 16 amp ones, mine now has a 25 amp version oddly.

Reply to Static caravan power supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net